Appenzeller spitzhaubens silver x gold project

Fancychickens_Norway

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2022
Hi guys, so I am crossing silver and gold spitzhaubens in order to get a gold male to cross back with my gold hen in order to breed golds true.
Short intro to explain why: In 2022 I bought 11 gold spitshauben chicks from a breeder who lived some distance from me, and on impulse I bought a pair of older silvers. This turned out to be lucky because only 1 of the golds grew up and it turned out to be a hen. Then as my silver pair were older, they had 3 chicks grow up to be hens, and for the 2023 season I then had a flock og 1.4 silvers and 0.1 gold. The gold hen lived with the silvers. Then in 2023 I gave away the adult silvers and kept 2 young roosters that turned out to be silver x gold and one silver hen. So for the 2024 season I have two pairs, 1.1 silver x gold rooster with a silver hen and 1.1 silver x gold rooster with a gold hen. So far I've hatched 3 chicks from the pair with the gold hen but one had to be put down, and 4 chicks from the pair with the silver hen and one appears to be citron in colour and according to the gold x silver colour charts it should be a she as any non silver bird from this pairing should be a hen.

Attachments

• Silver x gold with gold.jpg
    Silver x gold with gold.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Silver x gold with silver.jpg
    Silver x gold with silver.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 9
Pullets inherit gold or silver from the sire. If the cock is split S/G then it can throw either color to the hen. Half of the cockerels will be the dam color and half will be split S/G.

Back
Top Bottom