Arizona Chickens

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about your dog attack. I like the idea of the baby monitor, I'm going to have to look into that. I've had 3 attacks so far, lost 16, 11 and 6. That doesn't count losses to owls, hawks, and coyotes.
sad.png
Free ranging is such a risky proposition, but the birds are so much happier being out

Hi nurseshelly!
welcome-byc.gif

I see you've another person with indoor birds too!
smile.png
I also have a couple of Mille Fleurs...they are hilarious. One in particular does not understand why she isn't in the house with us!

54063_waiting_at_the_door.jpg

I'm over in suburban N Phoenix, and started out almost a year ago with 4 chicks, and now somehow I have 20 chickens (!?) I'm not sure how that happened
lau.gif
gig.gif
ep.gif

frow.gif

Welcome to all you new peeps!!

AZWelshponygirl- Very sorry to hear about your dog attack. I have been tempted to try the baby monitor, you will have to let us know how it works out.

Hatch Day was exciting and most definitely a learning experience. 14/24 hatched. 1 pipped this afternoon and is working very slowly at zipping. It may not make it. 4 Ameraucanas made it out, 2 Lavender, 1 Buff and a wheaten. The rest are OE's & EE's. The Polish EE Mahonri gave me is the dad to 6 of them. I tried to get some dry/fluffy pics for ya Mahonri, but they were not real cooperative.

Here are the Lavender Am's
71564_dsc01681.jpg

Probably both Roos 'cuz they are already fighting

71564_dsc01680.jpg

This little Guy is absolutly adorable. EE- I think Lav Am and New Hampshire?? Hard to remember who is who....I may try banding them next time.

71564_dsc01690.jpg

Mahonri- These are some of Rocky's Babies

71564_dsc01698.jpg

Then finally a blurry group shot with the red brooder light on..
barnie.gif

71564_dsc01701.jpg

Ok done!! AND I promise not to torture you with baby pics for at least another 24 hours!!

It hatch time again, well for chicks anyways. 89 went in 73 locked down.
So far I have 14 Mahalo Jersey Giants, 3 Mahonri Ameruacanas, 1 Mahonri French Black Copper Marans, 1 blue,polish, lots of Houdans and Phoenix and 2 Partridge Silkies and an Appenzeller (AzDreamers). There are still a few more that I'm waiting for.

Hi Pdx2phx,
Your picture is adorable
smile.png
I can't wait to have everybody in full feather. We've been handling ours a lot and I hope they will all be really friendly. Your Mille Fleur could use a chicken door - then she wouldn't have to sit there and stare at you! Hmmmmm, that is one thing I hadn't thought of, chickens coming inside through the dog door would probably not be that popular ... except with the cat who stays inside! Better be sure we really fence off the side yard well.
Michele

Quote:
Pastrymama,
I am still experimenting with what breeds I will eventually keep. Nobody has it made through a summer yet. I ordered some more anconas (this time sandhill, previously welp) because I want a different line before I make my final decision. They have not been laying yet but we are getting closer
fl.gif
(15 1/2 weeks). I love their looks and they seem quite smart actually (compared to my naked necks anyway
smile.png
). They were quite shy at a young age but will come up to me now if I am in the run/coop and don't move around hectically. Really the only drawback so far is that they are not growing very fast. But then again that is normal for the breed. And I am comparing to Delawares! So ask me again in a year when I know how well they lay and how fertile they are
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom