Faverolle with her head severely swollen on one side - wet pox?PICS

TajMahalChickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
I noticed that my year old Faverolle hen has an extremely swollen face on one side. I do not know what it is or how to treat it. Anyone know what it is or how to treat it?

My flock has had a bunch of health problems, here is the link to my most recent deaths. On the first page about midway down there is a description of all the illnesses I have had.https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=434192

Among other problems, fowl pox has been going through my flock. COuld this be wet pox? It looked like some pus stuff was coming from the inside of her mouth, although that could have been the feed mash she was eating.

I have isolated her away from the others. Besides having to close her eye once in a while, she acts normal.

Also, as you might notice in the pics, her neck has been loosing its feathers over the winter. She is finally starting to grow them back in. Any comments on that?

Here are some pics. Also, I have a sick barnevelder at the moment, if you could help with that here is the link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463888

51913_p3110534.jpg

51913_p3110530.jpg

51913_p3110537.jpg

Here is the other side of her face

51913_p3110533.jpg

Last edited:
Taj, neither of those links you posted will work.. I am sorry about the health problems you have been having with you flock.. and I don't know a thing about fowl pox except it is caused by mosquitos, have you looked inside of her mouth to see what it looks like and if she my have something lodged in there that could be causing this.. you can use google custom search and look up fowl pox and just about anything else.. hoipe you can find some answers and get help for her.. also have you checked her and the others over for mites/lice that can lead to feather loss, or over zealous rooster..
heres a link that might help ya. http://ultimatefowl.atwiki.com/page/Poultry Disease

Last edited:
Miss Lydia,
I fixed the links (after going to the FAQ page to figure out what I was doing wrong
smile.png
.You should be able to access all the info now.

I have done some research on dry fowl pox, but I guess I need to start some on wet Fowl pox. I will look in her mouth this afternoon to see what I can see.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Update: Her head is still swollen to about the same size. She is eating and drinking fine. The only difference is that the skin around the bulge is red now, more like the color of the comb.

I still don't know what it is or what to do. It kinda looks like an abscess-type bulge.

Thanks

can you upload a new pic of what your seeing now? if it's an abscess more than likely your going to have to lance it and let it drain and probably put her on somekind of antibiotic..

Looks like my roo when he had a sinus infection. Is she sneezing? If its sinus give her duramyacin for 2 weeks thats what the vet had me do for mine. If she is laying you cant eat the eggs during treatment and for 2 weeks after.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed any sneezing. She is not laying any eggs.

I'll try to take some more pics and get a better description of what it is.

No, I do not have a vet around here. There must not be many chicken people around here, 'cause our local co-ops and farm/hardware/garden stores don't carry things like poultry dust.

Thanks so much

To me it doesn't look like wet pox either. It looks like MS or MG. She could just be showing some symtoms. There are other really informative threads on BYC that talk about what to do. Tylan and Denagard are both antibiotics that are given. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom