Polish Rooster Now sick, help?

HelloChicken

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Ponchatoula, LA

!!! UPDATE !!!

Unfortunately early this morning I found my polish rooster laying down on his side this morning. Good news is he isn't dead, bad news is he's having a discharge out his mouth along with bloody stool.
I don't know if it's cocci or if he ate moldy food or rotten potato skin. I read that they can get sick from those two foods and his symptoms point to cocci.
Does anyone know what might be wrong with him or how I can help him?

Currently:
I have him in a cardboard box with some hay. Ive been feeding him a mix of cracked corn and chicken scratch along with some water but his constant throwing up of mucus won't let him keep it down. He can't stand or hold his head up. When I first found him he was cold, now he's very warm, not sure if it's a fever or normal tempature.

Help anyone?

Old problem: I'm having a problem with one of my roosters. He is a Polish Rooster ,I think about 3 months- 5 months old. He was the most recent victim of my moms dog attacks, it happened yesterday.
I was not here when it happened and as far as I can tell/ have been told nothing was really hurt on him. No blood, nothing broken.
The only problem is he seems to be dizzy.
He cant focus on anything, when I have food in my had he tries to peck at it but pecks in the air. He also stumbles around, he can walk but tends to loose his balance and ends up using his wings to support himself.
He still chirps some but seems like he's weak and run out of energy.
He does drink on his own and when I put water to his beak.
I've seen him peck at food(when he lucks up enough to actually peck it) so I know he still wants to eat.
Also! When he's sitting down his head seems to turn,like he can't keep it still,sometimes it seems like his head is heavy for him and he eventually just lays it down.

So I've read up on a few things that might have caused his symptoms:
The most likely is he had a stroke from the dog attack
OR
He ate something bad ; such as poison Ivy or a mushroom.(but I find this hard to believe since he is the only one acting this way...and has recently been attacked)

I need to know if there is anything you can recommend for me to do to help him ♥
Will he recover? How long will it take?
Do I need to seperate him?(yes a few chickens peck at him, he's kinda a wimpy rooster).

Last edited:
He could have suffered an ear injury, maybe the dog bit or grabbed his head and a stroke is certainly possible.
hu.gif

I would keep him separated if he's in a weakened state. Hard to know what's wrong with him and how to fix it. Just keep him safe, stress free and make sure he's eating and drinking.

I do have to ask why if there were other attacks (on the chickens?) that something wasn't done to prevent more?
barnie.gif

I hope he recovers.
fl.gif

Yeah so far I have him inside with a blanket so sit on,food, and every now and then I give him some water.
I didn't think about the dog getting a hold of his ear,thanks for that.
Annnnnd
:\\
Not to diss on my mom.... but for some odd reason(I have no idea why) she bough a yellow lab puppy like2 weeks before getting her chickens.
(12 chickens are hers and other 12 are mine)

I keep telling her its a dog, it's going to attack them...
Her reply is " Oh no she wont, she's a good dog"
The dog simply attacked because it was let out when the chickens were out.
I keep telling her to put the dog up,but she insists to keep it out so she can "discipline her".

I cant really talk about it much cuz it reallly makes me mad.....
Her pup killed my two baby chicks, the ones I REALLY bonded with.

thank you for your post!

Last edited:
GOOD NEWS!
I got my little Polish rooster to eat
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

I'm so excited!!!!!
Hopefully I can nurse him back to recovery and he'll be right as rain ♥
I think lack of eating was one of the main reasons why he was so wobbly.

Am so happy for you, you may want to give him a hard boilded egg or apple sause and maybe some oatmeal with a little sugar. Also put some sugar in his water that will give him some energy. Good luck and keep us posted.
smile.png

Also you may want to fence in you chickens instead of letting them free range that sounds like the best thing to do. So you will have some peace of mind and they won't get eaten or hurt. I totally know how it feels to lose chickens to a dog.

Oh thank you for the tips! I'll defiantly do that!
He's been walking a lot better and when I carry him out to see the girls he starts to chirp
big_smile.png

Although I still have 2 hens that peck at him... I wonder why they do that,and only to him.

In regards to your second post:

Well the only dog that's around here is my mom's but she's in her kennel right now. I have eyes on them just in case though, thaks for your concern.

Yay! Really glad to hear he's improving. Don't rush him by putting him with the others too soon (but I'm sure supervised visits cheer him up)...if he's even a little "off", they'll know it and beat up on him. I'm convinced this whole "pick on the sick chicken" concept is a way to protect the flock. If a bird isn't healthy, it could potentially infect a whole flock so they kill it to prevent that from happening. I guess the chickens' medical gauge thinks disease and injury are the same...plus they are blood thirsty mongers by nature anyway.

I'm really sorry your Mom doesn't seem to get it about her beloved puppy. In our house, the prey animals get first respect...they need the protection more. Predator pets take a back seat...meaning if the dogs have to stay in the kennel while the chickens free range...so be it!

Thanks for the good news update!
woot.gif
:
ya.gif
wee.gif
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
@ReikiStar

Me too! I hope his eye sight/ focusing ability gets better soon.
So far I've just let him go walk around for about 5-10 minutes, he usually just walks to the pen and sits . He's being spoiled right now, I have him next to me in a pet bed. Giving him water every now and then. Still not sure how much to feed him. I suppose if he doesn't eat he must not be hungry. (He has eaten so I know its not just him not feeling up to eating)

Yeah that makes sense just too bad it's like that
sad.png

I think in a way my mom feels bad for keeping the dog locked up, but now it's to the point where she agrees the dog goes up when the chickens come out. So I'm glad about that. Although if another incident like this happens I'm so moving my half of the chickens back to my house! No dogs,bigger pen,and lots and lots of blueberries for them to eat
smile.png

I just hate being away from them,and possibly loosing my "bond" with them
sad.png

I'll update again tomorrow about his health.

Thanks!

Kind of a side note here:
He keeps like chirping purring. Like chir-ri-ri-ri-ri-ri-ri-rip.
Lol
I cant exactly type it, but does anyone know what that means? Is it a happy chirp?

Back
Top Bottom