Wheaten and Blue wheaten Marans Discussion Thread

Another jump in...I didnt see any other Marans thread. I am asking about egg color. My first bird started laying 4 days ago and they are jut a regular brown color. Im guessing this is typical because they are hatchery birds not from a breeder. Is this your opinion as well?

Quote:
It seems that Cuckoos are the most hatchery sold Marans and the egg color is like a RIR I suppose if they sold Black Coppers the color would be poor also you live close to people who have good ones I can ask Karen who it is in Fresno that has them.

Well THANK YOU! I'd like to have a lot of different colored eggs, and yes my birds are cuckoos. My whole order was messed up from Ideal but I am a rookie and this is my first batch so Im just dealing with it. My birds hatched on Feb 4th. I have 12 birds (one roo). I would be interested to talk to your friend about her stock.

Quote:
I'll try and find out for you did you want Wheatens? They lay big dark eggs and you can see how pretty they are....Cuckoos are a bit harder to find I'm still looking for a good feather legged rooster myself....

Thw Wheaten IS a lovely bird! I only need girls, I am a little anxious about integrating a flock (since I am a rookie) and would guess I should have like 4 at a time when I am adding so no one gets picked on too much. Do you agree? And is your opinion that a started bird or a chick is better? I wonder what the price difference is. Im gonna have hubby all over me on this...(but thats why I had a coop big enough for like 20 birds built....I read about chicken math and that is soooo true!)

my wheaten marans are like attack dogs ind tear any new buirds i ad , its best to do it at night so they wake up together
i got attacked the other day by my younger rooster because i had my big davis roo in my hand and they hate each other . i am 5"9 180 and the roghten roo jumped up and almost riped the shirt i had on but would never attack unless i had a roo in my hand
Quote:

Thats funny you say that cause I call my 4 girls "The Attack Squad" mostly cause they are all the time trying to jump on me to roost or some weird thing. They are however, the only girls who let me hold and pet them. So I built the coop with the idea that when I get another batch to raise that I will enclose the area under the nest boxes with hardware cloth panels as the brooder box. The heat lamp fits perfectly under there and the birds will all be very familiar with each other before I actually let the newbies loose. Still I understand there is harsh pecking order business to follow but I hatched this big idea (oh I make myself laugh).

i built my nest boxes all the same so when i put them in side by side i can slide in a tray thing for the first few days when chicks hatch
20346_picture_095.jpg

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a wheaten maran roo or a blue wheaten maran roo.

38124_wmr4.jpg

38124_wmr5.jpg

38124_wmr3.jpg

the hen I think is blue wheaten: Thanks
big_smile.png

38124_wmhen1.jpg

Your Roo and pullet both look like standard Wheatens. Not seeing any blue, maybe growing them out will tell you for sure, they only look to be about 6 weeks or so old, more growth and you'll know for sure as they feather in. Not seeing blue though from my monitor.

Victoria

Back
Top Bottom