Frugal Pattern Quilt Block Swap (Sign-up ends 6/18/11)

Quote:
I took a pic for you and it may help. I'm downloading it for you now.

If you take your square and put the center of the block on the 45 Angle (see the number 45 in the yellow), cut the 2 sides and then turn it that should help you. Hope that helps.
7163_img_0627.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I think I figured it out. I posted a pic of the block I have made. Thanks though!!!

I do have a questions though. This swap is about using up scraps. What fabrics are allowed? Childrens? Fall? Christmas? Characters? Are there any no-nos I should know about as far as selecting fabric? When I first got started quilting I was picking up a yard here and a yard there so I have a wide variety of misc fabrics and since I havent been quilting long I havent cut into most of my "flower / retro fabrics" that I am saving to make quilts. I have lots of fall season scraps and 1/2 yards and such.

Edited due to spelling issues

Last edited:
Oh My!!!!!!!!
he.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif
I have sewn quilts for years, but do not concider myself a "quilter" b/c I cheat A LOT and chose things that do not need much matching or presicion. I have been so good measuring exactly and cutting w/ a rotary cutter exactly each step and still am ending up around 50% of the finished blocks being usable! (well unusable for the exchange not for me I'm used to my missmatched things and find ways around it) The biggest bummer isn't the 50% rate b/c I'll use the blocks, but that the ones so far that haven't been usable have been w/ the cooler fabrics
rant.gif

Quote:
If you have a large square (like the one in Ginbart's post) with the 45 degree angle - it is a matter of learning the secret to making them accurate. You start out with about a 7" square. Then I put my 45 degree line down the center of the fabric line by judging the space left in the sides of the squares running down it. I then back it up just a little so there is fabric to cut on each side, making sure of course that the line stays strait down the middle. Then I do something that would usually go against what I have learned so far. I cut the stuff not under the square even though it is not even - as long as the line is down the middle, you are good. Then I turn it around so the other end of the fabric line is at the edge. I line up the square edge (the original side I cut already) with the 6 1/2 inches square lines and cut the excess. This will give you the perfect 6.5 inch square with the line (that makes the X) in the perfect spot. If you are still confused, I will post some pics. It took me a bit to actually realize the first cuts are simply to get the line in the right place.

Quote:
Oh don't get freaked out about my issues, they are mine not the block, the block is straight forward and easy, it's just me.

dear kassandra...I hear ya..I have been a quilter for 30 yrs..I have had more trouble with this than anything I have ever done!!..I had piece and hand quilt ..which means i use precise patterns and measurements..I finally worked it out for me.

Sorry Acre and ginbart..not complaining..really..
thumbsup.gif
tongue2.gif
....my nerves are in shredds right now..have a new grandbaby being delivered as I type..
ya.gif
..just added a little stress to the mix...

Sandi

Last edited:
Talking to Acre's now and the fabric can be anything but GOTHIC. AND IF YOUR USING SCRAPS every 12.5 block does not need to be the same. Say one 12.5 block has horse's on it, the next 12.5 blocks could be flowers, or anything else.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom