The EE braggers thread!!!

Quote:
I am new to this but my understanding is the splash's should be having all blues and the white is a recessive gene and all those babies would be black because black is dominant. Again I am new so I could be wrong. I have a BR (black with barring) and Splash PR and I have been told and read that I should get all (barred) blue babies! The white thing is something I have only skimmed over.

Maybe if I keep hatching them I will get one

Nothing wrong with trying
smile.png

If I remember my biology correctly and if I am right about it being recessive the chicks would have to get two copies of the white genes and that may be a long shot
sad.png
but nothing wrong with having lots of fussy chicks running around.

Quote:
You should be able to post pics now, you have made 10 posts.....if that's not correct I'm sure someone will let us know
smile.png

Quote:
we put our splash ameraucana over 3 barred rock hens and hatched out about 40 chicks this spring. We kept around 20. Will get ya pictures next time I am in Micanopy.

Also put the Splash AM over Blue Rocks and got lots of Blue chicks, kept the dozen or so with dark beaks and dark legs. They are about 3 months old now.

BBrock, I have a pb. Ameraucana blue hen and used my silver EE roo in a pen with her and the resulting chick that I kept for myself is a carbon copy of the hen, right down to the slate colored legs. In other words it looks exactly like a pb. Ameraucana. As an added plus I believe it is a pullet! Will try to get a pic of her posted on here. Hopefully next year she will produce more blues for me! Charlie

Quote:
I am new to this but my understanding is the splash's should be having all blues and the white is a recessive gene and all those babies would be black because black is dominant. Again I am new so I could be wrong. I have a BR (black with barring) and Splash PR and I have been told and read that I should get all (barred) blue babies! The white thing is something I have only skimmed over.

Visually white chickens can be dominate white, recessive white, or a combination of both actually. Clean looking dominate whites are usually a black chicken carrying two copies of dominate white, but its possible to have a mostly white bird that only has one copy of dominate white. [Dominate white covers black much better than it does red.]

Recessive white, of course, takes two copies to cause a chicken to be visually white; but works on both red and black well. If your hen is recessive white, and your black roo is not carrying one copy of recessive white, none of the chicks will be white, most will probably be black, depending on what's under the recessive white of the hen and the genotype of the black. [Recessive white chickens can be carrying any color or pattern that occurs in chickens, and still be visually pure white.] If either or both are carrying silver [another gene that causes visually white chickens] or other unknown genes, things will get a lot more complicated. LOL

Back
Top Bottom