Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
Can you re-post the photos of the Birds? You may have a wheaton rooster... I have never seen a BB chick with that little color but it looks suprisingly like a Wheaton x BB.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/61794_cimg1266.jpg
These are my trio. The egg the chick hatched from was from one of these hens.

Doesn't appear to be a mixed rooster since there is no hackle fade however if teh trend continues you might want to isolate the hens to determine if it is a hen or the rooster producing that. Or it could be that the egg was fertilized by a different rooster.

Quote:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/61794_cimg1266.jpg
These are my trio. The egg the chick hatched from was from one of these hens.

Doesn't appear to be a mixed rooster since there is no hackle fade however if teh trend continues you might want to isolate the hens to determine if it is a hen or the rooster producing that. Or it could be that the egg was fertilized by a different rooster.

That is what I am thinking(and hoping)--that the hen that laid the egg had been with another rooster before I got her. This egg was laid the evening I brought the birds home. I have 2 more eggs in the incubator that were just laid this past week from her( at least the same hen has the redest comb)so I guess I will see if they hatch anything different. I was told one hen had been housed with him and one younger hen I got had been housed in a hen pen without a rooster.

So you are telling me my first hatched is probably a mutt?
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

That is what I am thinking(and hoping)--that the hen that laid the egg had been with another rooster before I got her. This egg was laid the evening I brought the birds home. I have 2 more eggs in the incubator that were just laid this past week from her( at least the same hen has the redest comb)so I guess I will see if they hatch anything different. I was told one hen had been housed with him and one younger hen I got had been housed in a hen pen without a rooster.

sickbyc.gif

Most likely will look like a BB red when mature however may not breed properly when grown. Any eggs gathered for a eriod of 14 days could still be from the previous rooster. So your next hatch may be affected as well.

In the event anyone is interested I am going to let 1 trio of Opal and 1 Trio of Birchen OE go for 75 a trio + shipping if needed. either local pick up or shipped which ever works better. Both trios are well proven breeders.

Birchen:
30249_birchen_cock_2.jpg

Opal:
30249_05-04-10_1401.jpg

Quote:

sickbyc.gif

Most likely will look like a BB red when mature however may not breed properly when grown. Any eggs gathered for a eriod of 14 days could still be from the previous rooster. So your next hatch may be affected as well.

This morning the wing feathers are developing a little more and they look blue--would that be an indication of a blue wheaten?
rant.gif

Back
Top Bottom