Is CJ a Girl or a Boy?

Well, maybe there's hope then. The absolute only thing that says cockerel to me with CJ is that red comb. I sure hope I can keep this one. There just isn't anywhere for a mixed breed rooster around here. I'll already have three coops with their own roosters and nowhere else to put another.

Me, neither. She/he looks quite alot like a non-bearded Ameraucana, doesn't she/he? Genes are funny things. She did come from a brown egg marked "Buff", though. This is a real sweetheart, very calm and personable.

Peacombs on a cockerel at 9 weeks would have 3 rows showing. CJ is showing only one which is indicative to a pullet. But since she/he is of mix breeding and it is pretty red for a 9 weeker, I lean more towards cockerel but like the rest I will
fl.gif
for a pullet for you.

Gayle, I've raised Ameraucanas so I know what you're saying about the comb cues. CJ's comb is quite raised and red for this age unless it's a boy, at least in a purebred bird, but with the mix involved, hard to say for certain, especially with the other confusing traits.

Last edited:
CJ is a very pretty pullet. See, who says prayers don't work. At 10 weeks the comb doesn't seem to be any redder or bigger than at 9 weeks and the wattle are still very small.

fl.gif
Gosh I hope I am right. I really don't want to eat my other barn shoe.
th.gif

Gosh I hope I am right. I really don't want to eat my other barn shoe

LOL, thanks, Gayle. If you're wrong, I wont make you eat any nasty old shoe, I promise. CJ does look pretty girly except for that comb, doesn't she? She's a tough cookie, though. She backs down the big Blue "Oafingtons" with regularity.​

Back
Top Bottom