† Quail Breeders Club †

i wouldn't consider myself a breeder by any means, but a hobbyist of course, i am planning on starting my own little project of dark/red ranges and HOPEFULLY working on quaillady's golden tuxedo with the one that i have now, and a golden female that i have.

Well, I have a question about breeding since I'm new to this. I just hatched out my first and have 2 tuxedos, 2 golden and the rest are browns. Of course, they are still too little for me to know what sex any of them are. I don't know yet exactly what I want to do breeding wise (other than have a bunch!) but should I separate colors or just let them mix? Is there any bad genes in the colors I have that would require any separation to ensure healthy birds? Sorry if my questions are ignorant, but that is what I am!
big_smile.png

It is up to you if you want to separate colors. I think the golden are the only color with a lethal gene. I just hatched out a boatload of baby quail, so cute! I plan to try and select for size. I am not too worried about color, I just like variety. You will need to sex them once they get older and weed out excess males. Hatch on!:) Deb

Thanks H2Pot. I like surprises so just letting them mix is cool with me. What does that mean with the having a lethal gene exactly? Does that mean I should not breed those to each other?

Quote:
No, it means that there is a gene in there that will cause 25% chicks not to hatch. You can breed two lethal genes together, just expect that some chicks won't hatch. There are a few color genes in coturnix that has this. If you mix colors, it's hard to track it down but color surprises are nice.

ETA: in the golds, it's the Y (yellow gene) that causes lethality.

Last edited:
May I join? I have coturnix quail. My two colours are Normal and White, Right now I have them in a colony. But I will be building something better for them. Which will be wooden Breeding cages. I have a deisgn in my head. And will be working on it this next few days. and Adding things. It will be done before the New Year (Hopefully)

Quote:
No, it means that there is a gene in there that will cause 25% chicks not to hatch. You can breed two lethal genes together, just expect that some chicks won't hatch. There are a few color genes in coturnix that has this. If you mix colors, it's hard to track it down but color surprises are nice.

ETA: in the golds, it's the Y (yellow gene) that causes lethality.

So does this mean that it would be best to breed golden hens to pharoah males or vice versa? So what would the results be from golden cross pharoahs? I keep both to gether now, so I don't really know what hatches from who. I know that my Silver Cots carry a similar gene.

Back
Top Bottom