•• New BYC Forum Feature: Private Messages!

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Nifty-Chicken, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

The BYC Staff is proud to announce the newest feature to the BYC Forum:

Private Messages!

You’ve been requesting this for about 10 months and now our members can send and receive messages between each other!

To send a PM to a friend simply click on the “PM” link under their UserName or in their profile and start typing.

When you have a new PM you’ll see a notice to the top left of the forum. Go ahead, send one to yourself and see how it works!

There is a limit on messages you can store so make sure you delete old messages.

This new feature has been brought to you by our newBYC sponsors (you can see them at the top right of the forum).

Have fun and let me know how it works! (i.e. let me know if adding it broke anything else!) [​IMG]

2. Royicus

Royicus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Western Oregon
    Very nice addition, Nifty-Chicken. The ad location is great, and not intrusive at all. I did browse our sponsors site, and they have some pretty neat stuff.

Thanks for the great work!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Lookin good! What is the limit anyways?

4. Nifty-Chicken

Thanks for the feedback kids!

silkiechicken, the limit for messages: For members it is 100 messages and for Golden Feather Members it is 200.

5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Tried it on the MAC and it was fine. No hang ups in safari or firefox except the first attempt to send in firefox came back with you have to wait 60 seconds between sends for some reason.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Quote:Super fantastic information!! Thanks so much for the cross browser compatability test.

I actually didn't know that the 60 second "flood protection" worked / applied to PM's but I'm kinda glad it does. This is in place to slow down any potential spammers that may sneak onto the forum so their damage will be limited.

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Strange thing was that it was the first message I tried to send that it kicked in on. Unless I accidentally double clicked the send button [​IMG]

8. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Tried a test, I love it!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks tons!!!

9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, wonderful, saves time too! I sent one earlier!
    I guess we just have to get used to going up to messages when we log in to check for any, or does it tell you if you have one??

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by