‘Container’ Coops?

ConDioFarms

Songster
Apr 23, 2019
Anyone have any exciting plans for coops using these container boxes that we see everywhere? I’ve seen some amazing container homes...

1582156440731.jpeg

Like these?

Well. They are very large so you need a place to put one. You’d have to put in lots of ventilation. They are hot in the heat and cold in the cold. They are pricey but if you compare to large sheds, not that bad. I have seen them used in large free range operations as chicken tractors, so there must be plans somewhere. If you can afford them and all of the work you’d need to do, why not? @aart might have some great ideas.

Well. They are very large so you need a place to put one. You’d have to put in lots of ventilation. They are hot in the heat and cold in the cold. They are pricey but if you compare to large sheds, not that bad. I have seen them used in large free range operations as chicken tractors, so there must be plans somewhere. If you can afford them and all of the work you’d need to do, why not? @aart might have some great ideas.
Thanks! I drive by them everyday and just think of the possibilities...especially if they were on wheels...

Ventilation is probably the biggest factor, plus the fact that it would be difficult to make any modifications directly to the body of the unit. Shipping containers are quite popular in my area as sheds/outdoor storage as they're not subject to building restrictions like a shed would be. But so far I haven't seen anyone using one as a coop.

I drive by them everyday and just think of the possibilities
That happens when you have chickens :gig I see chicken stuff everywhere!
Realistically, most don't work out.

One guy uses one, has a bunch of breeder birds in it.
Can't remember how he manages the temps and ventilation.

especially if they were on wheels...
Oh, you mean like a semi truck trailer....and a semi truck tractor to move it?
That could work....maybe.

First thought is ventilation openings and roof overhangs to protect said ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom