“Pregnant” chicken

Chicman25

Hatching
Apr 10, 2021
I’m recently a little new but I have a been on this site before ( years ago) and recently have returned with a current situation that happened this morning.So I received a call from my mother about an hen who appearently had an egg stuck in her vent for so long that she ended up lying the egg on our rocking chair BUT, inside the egg remained a developing Abby chick!Just a FYI,I have been raising chickens for years now and have not have came across this particular sort of thing,I didn’t even know that was possible.The bird had to have been holding on to the egg for awhile now because the weather has not Been warm enough to incubate an abandoned egg and my mother clearly saw the egg this morning , this is weird any ideas?

I have to think that could not be true. First of all an eggbound chicken cannot poop, causing an obstruction in the GI tract, and other eggs would be coming along behind it. For 21 days, the egg would,be subjected to an extremely high body temperature, which in chickens can be from 103-107 F. That would kill a chick, since incubator temps are around 100. I suppose then hen could have a hidden nest somewhere and has been setting.

Nope the egg was sitting in the chair where the bird had laid it, the bird was not developed fully it was just the very beginning.
I have to think that could not be true. First of all an eggbound chicken cannot poop, causing an obstruction in the GI tract, and other eggs would be coming along behind it. For 21 days, the egg would,be subjected to an extremely high body temperature, which in chickens can be from 103-107 F. That would kill a chick, since incubator temps are around 100. I suppose then hen could have a hidden nest somewhere and has been setting.

Back
Top Bottom