My chickens haven't laid in about a week?

alexis187

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
I have three gold laced wyandotte layers who are all about 2 years old now. They usually produce 1-2 eggs a day, but have suddenly stopped all production. About a week ago was the last time we received any eggs. Those last eggs were all of normal size and makeup. None of them are eggbound, molting, or broody, and all have been eating/drinking/behaving like perfectly healthy chickens. (One is a little underweight with some sparse feathers, but they are rescues and she has always been that way. Her production is rather slow already as well.) It has been extremely hot and dry recently, and the chickens have been less active during hot hours because of that, so is it just the heat that's stopped their laying? Am I being paranoid when there's nothing to worry about? I only worry because they've never had this happen before, even in winter. Any input would be awesome! Thanks guys

If they produced eggs throughout the winter, they are most likely just taking a much needed break in their laying cycles.

They molted in January and I was under the impression that only happened once a year?

They molted in January and I was under the impression that only happened once a year?
How old are they in months?

I should have also asked....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1690641651090.png

We aren’t exactly sure how old they are…they are rescues and I was told they had just started laying when I got them so we assume they are about 2 years (24 months) old now. I live in central North Carolina and we are having a heat wave right now, that’s why I wasn’t sure if it was heat or something to be worried about.

We aren’t exactly sure how old they are…they are rescues and I was told they had just started laying when I got them so we assume they are about 2 years (24 months) old now. I live in central North Carolina and we are having a heat wave right now, that’s why I wasn’t sure if it was heat or something to be worried about.
Heat could have something to do with it.
Here's what I do for extreme heat...and cold:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Rescued from where?
When did you get them month/year?
Are you using any artificial lighting?
Odd that they would molt in January.

My first batch of hens RIRs gradually stopped laying around 2 years of age.
The heat may also have something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom