“Share Helpful Backyard Poultry TIPS” a Random Posting CONTEST Thread ~ Hosts, Mike & Sally

pop.gif

CHICK Pictures
in a light box!

I am NOT a Photographer but I am asked a lot how I take such cute pics so here goes!
This box is simple to use for some cool images of those cute chicks you hatch!
Have fun with A BUNCH of different COLORED boxes!
We use FLAT BLACK for our first box!

psss.... we are still messing around with lighting,
we dont use the light on the top anymore as the spotlights are working right from the front!

INSPIRATIONAL LINK HERE:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

THIS IS IT! HA HA HA
oh and my cell phone! HTC
lau.gif

Last edited:
Chick Pro and Pre Biotic vit cheap! I swear by them! 1st & 2 wks then ACV see post #1409

I wanted to show you what I use for my chicks because of the serama and their "lifted butt" they have a better tendency to get pasty butt the first few days of life.

I use grow gel, sometimes I even put it in the bator as the first several hatch,because the eggs can be of all sizes some tend to hatch hours earlier than others, and I like to keep as many chicks in the bator as I can to get them all to hatch as quickly and get it over and done with, so they get hungry and the grow gel gives them a great start in life and helps give them something to do, but I put marbles in it so they dont get stuck in it of course! I make enough to make about a teaspoon or two when it has water in it, then let them finish it up in the brooder. I add this pro vits to the waterer.......

Anyways this is what they get in their waterer...... I know it doesnt look like a lot is in there, but it goes a long way in chick waterers and I only give it the first two weeks and then I add AVC into their water WELL worth the money, and they grow and feather faster! I swear by this stuff!! I never loose chicks in the brooder! but mind you I DO NOT ASSIST CHICK HATCHING EITHER!!! BECAUSE WE SELL CHICKS!

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...84af9fa2600f00000499/533884b09fa2600f000004ae

Vets Plus Poultry ProVita

Item #0040957
$7.99

Poultry ProVita is suggested as a supplemental source of vitamins and direct-fed microbials (probiotics) along with Inulin (prebiotics) for backyard poultry. It can be used for all classes of poultry during times of stress. Use daily or during shipping, receiving, vaccination, debeaking, molting, peak production, hot weather, etc.

Directions For Use:

• always prepare fresh solution
  • mix one scoop per gallon of drinking water
  • discard unused portions after 12 hours
  • one gram scoop included

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/grogel-plus-b
GroGel Plus-B

Item #0040636
A hatchling supplement for day-old poultry. Comes as a dry powder to mix with water forming a bright shiny green, bite-sized gel that attracts the attention of all poultry species. Provides hydration and concentrated nutrients along with beneficial bacteria that helps hatchlings get off to a good start.

Last edited:
Horizontal nipple waterers WARNING post #27152
Cut Milk jug Bottoms OUT, place over Waterers & Feeders to keep Birds off post #68604
How to Prevent Chicks from Getting Coccidiosis post #4779
DIY Reduced Waste Feeders post #47418
Heated water suggestion coop post #15802
Sterilite 2-quart pitcher horizontal poultry nipples post #39218
Discussion of what everyone uses for FEED AND WATER dishes begins here post #7510
Urs Deicer post #30689
Farm Innovators deicer... post #23901
HEATED WATERER DISCUSSIONS Winter weather! post #28163
Duck heated water by Phil post #28277

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone has already come up with these but here goes
If you are out of marbles to put in waters for you new chicks you can us all thoses PESKY Legos (that you still manage to walk on even though your kids have not played with it for YEARS. - I could swear that like in Toy Story the toys become alive at night and spread Lego everywhere!!!)

Scotch tape for cracked eggs.
I would not usually set a cracked egg but I really wanted this one to develop so slapped on some tape. Not too much as the vessels just inside the shell need to have access to the air to exchange oxygen, so just put on what is needed to cover the cracks.

This egg was extensively cracked, but still hatched!!

The dishwasher cage used to put small items like pacifiers in make great mini cages to keep separate different eggs during hatching.

Back
Top Bottom