✪ FDA Approves Fenbendazole for Use in Laying Hens to Treat Large Roundworms and Cecal Worms ✪

That's a large roundworm. If you want to treat all of them orally and still eat the eggs, give 0.0045 ml per pound of bodyweight orally once a day for five consecutive days.
View attachment 2030965

oh boy. I guessed it but was still hoping it wasn’t the case.
I’m guessing they weigh 3/4ish lbs maybe - they are all 7-10 months old - Marans, Cream legbars, EE, and Ameraucana.

sorry to sound dumb but would I be giving them then .0135 ml - how do I figure that out on a syringe? I’ve never dewormed the chickens before. I have these syringes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 4
Are you sure they're that small? At 7-10 months I would expect them to be much larger. 3/4 pound is the size of a small Silkie hen.

Ok my guesstimates could be off. I’ll weigh a few prior. I know the Ameraucana and EE are fairly small still they are a bit younger I keep forgetting that.

so if they are 5 lbs it would be .0225 and if 7lbs .0315 correct and on the syringe?
I just don’t want to under or over dose. And I just put it on a piece of bread for them to gobble up?

Ok my guesstimates could be off. I’ll weigh a few prior. I know the Ameraucana and EE are fairly small still they are a bit younger I keep forgetting that.

so if they are 5 lbs it would be .0225 and if 7lbs .0315 correct and on the syringe?
I just don’t want to under or over dose. And I just put it on a piece of bread for them to gobble up?
Another option would be to mix 1 ml Safeguard with 9 ml of water, stir well and give 0.045 ml per pound. That would be much easier. Do me a favor, get a more accurate weight on a few and or me know. Once I know I can figure out something more manageable for you.

Another option would be to mix 1 ml Safeguard with 9 ml of water, stir well and give 0.045 ml per pound. That would be much easier. Do me a favor, get a more accurate weight on a few and or me know. Once I know I can figure out something more manageable for you.

Good afternoon -

I weighed My younger ones and all 3 are 2.8 to 3.1lbs and then most of the other hens That I weighed are 4.9-5.6 lbs. There’s a few that are a bit bigger 6.5 and I forgot to weigh the roosters.

thank you!

Also after doing the dose for 5 days is there a repeat in ten days?

Okay, I think it might be easiest if you mix 2 ml of Safeguard with 18 ml of water. Stir or shake well and do this before you dose each bird because Safeguard will settle out in the water quickly.

Doing this means you will have a liquid that contains 10 mg fenbendazole per 1 ml.

The formula is weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2 x 1 / 10 = # of ml to give.
For example:

2.8 / 2.2 x 1 / 10 = 0.127 ml (round up to 0.13 or 0.15 ml)
3.1 / 2.2 x 1 / 10 = 0.14 ml (round up to 0.15)
4.9 / 2.2 x 1 / 10 = 0.22 ml (round up to 0.25)
5.6 / 2.2 x 1 / 10 = 0.25 ml
Also after doing the dose for 5 days is there a repeat in ten days?
I would.

Does this help?

Okay, I think it might be easiest if you mix 2 ml of Safeguard with 18 ml of water. Stir or shake well and do this before you dose each bird because Safeguard will settle out in the water quickly.

Doing this means you will have a liquid that contains 10 mg fenbendazole per 1 ml.

The formula is weight of bird in pounds, divide by 2.2 x 1 / 10 = # of ml to give.
For example:

2.8 / 2.2 x 1 / 10 = 0.127 ml (round up to 0.13 or 0.15 ml)
3.1 / 2.2 x 1 / 10 = 0.14 ml (round up to 0.15)
4.9 / 2.2 x 1 / 10 = 0.22 ml (round up to 0.25)
5.6 / 2.2 x 1 / 10 = 0.25 ml

I would.

Does this help?

Yes - I believe so! I feel like when it comes to this I draw blanks. I don’t want to dose incorrectly or god knows what!

I have some hens that aren’t laying and I have three coops total.

I don’t want a egg withdrawal but at the same time I don’t want to drag it out or make it more difficult. I bought the safeguard goat 10% suspension

Back
Top Bottom