➡➡ Kiki Speak

This is a pic of a few branches of one of our chokecherry trees - there are two red-leaved ones the birds have cleaned off and they are ignoring the fruit on the ones with green leaves, so thought I might see if I can get decent jelly from them:
View attachment 2244123
Here the black ones get cleaned out by the birds one or two days before they are ripe. You can also make a wonderful syrup or wine from them.

Yum! I've never made it, but I'll bet it'd jell without even any pectin. I need to go out and get some this year--after it frosts. IMO they're just about inedible until they've been frosted. Afterward, the bitter edge is softened and the amazing flavor can come through.
Unless your birds are different than ours, they aren't any left by the time it freezes.

They are an acquired taste for eating straight off of the tree but that astringency disappears in the jelly, etc.

Oh really? Hmm, it's months from frost here, I'm not sure they would last that long. Maybe I'll gather enough to try a recipe or two and leave the rest on the trees?

And P.S. if it turns out awful I can always say I should have listened to Cindy and left them for fall LOL
Don't listen to Cindy on this.

Nah... they'll be fine as long as you add enough sugar. My (now very elderly) cousin used to make wine from them. Can you possibly even imagine picking that many wild chokecherries? :eek: I think there will be a lot of them this year, though.
I got to try a bottle of 20 year old chokecherry wine, It was amazing.

Back
Top Bottom