➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

A goose bit me when I was a child. I've been scared of them since. :oops:

My hubby was chased by a goose or some geese and they were snapping at him. He is convinced they are mean. Which he reminded me of when I said, "ooh, I wouldn't mind a guard goose or 2 to go with our flock". I tried to convince him that if you raise them from a baby gosling that it won't grow up that way. Those were just wild and probably protecting a nest nearby. Needless to say, he wasn't convinced and I don't have any (at the moment).

I was awake but still in bed because my alarm hadn’t gone off yet. That roar in the background is coming from a fan I sleep with in my room, which is on the other side of the wall where the chicks are. Normally the fan is great blocking out any noises. I was laying there and I thought I heard something. I open the door of my bedroom and listen. Yup, I did. My first crow (if you can call it that.) What a weird noise but you have to start from somewhere right? Lol!

I was awake but still in bed because my alarm hadn’t gone off yet. That roar in the background is coming from a fan I sleep with in my room, which is on the other side of the wall where the chicks are. Normally the fan is great blocking out any noises. I was laying there and I thought I heard something. I open the door of my bedroom and listen. Yup, I did. My first crow (if you can call it that.) What a weird noise but you have to start from somewhere right? Lol!
Lol how cute!

:love So cute!

It's what I like to call "crisp" here. It's chilly but invigorating. Wakes ya up. Idk. It does me anyway. I have been taking the littles out in the morning once the chill is off of the ground and letting them stay out pretty much all day. We have a hardware cloth fence perimeter set up around the little coop. That way they'd have grass to forage in instead of just being confined to the coop area. That way they could be out with the big girls in a look but no touch way. Hoping to let the big girls get used to them. It's worked great up until yesterday. I check in often of the littles. We have cameras set up around our place and I can see them from inside. I looked in on them and noticed a big girl inside their area. I was like, oh crap! So I go outside to make sure everyone is ok. My son follows me. I check on the littles first. They're fine. I'm like, whew! My son gently picks up the pullet (Lucy) and places her back outside of the enclosure. The littles come out of their little place where they were huddling, start foraging like nothing ever happened. All is good. Well, I am sitting in a chair visiting with the little ones and Lucy decides that she wants back in. She tries to jump on the hardware cloth fence (right behind my chair where I was sitting) but it's not super taut so it's a bit wobbly under her weight. She goes to jump down inside the enclosure and one of her toes gets caught in a square of the HC. So there she is, squawking and hanging upside down by a toe. I'm there in a flash. Pick her up, get her toe out and sit down in the chair with her and hold her. I look at her foot and everything looks ok. I think I got to her really fast before she could flail about and damage anything. So now she's sitting on my lap and I'm just petting her and talking to her. After a bit she wants down so I let her. I want to see the interaction. To see where we are on a tolerance level. The littles pretty much avoid her. She doesn't go after them. BUT! When they were inside the little coop run grabbing a bite of food while she was outside of it foraging, she took notice and made her way over there. Came thru the doorway with a little speed and ran off the littles from the food dish. She just stood there. But they gave her her space. I lured her away from the food, gently picked her up and placed her back over the fence. So food bullying/guarding may be an issue. So multiple feeding stations will definitely be necessary once I combine them all. I think they have a little ways to go yet before I try tho.

It's what I like to call "crisp" here. It's chilly but invigorating. Wakes ya up. Idk. It does me anyway. I have been taking the littles out in the morning once the chill is off of the ground and letting them stay out pretty much all day. We have a hardware cloth fence perimeter set up around the little coop. That way they'd have grass to forage in instead of just being confined to the coop area. That way they could be out with the big girls in a look but no touch way. Hoping to let the big girls get used to them. It's worked great up until yesterday. I check in often of the littles. We have cameras set up around our place and I can see them from inside. I looked in on them and noticed a big girl inside their area. I was like, oh crap! So I go outside to make sure everyone is ok. My son follows me. I check on the littles first. They're fine. I'm like, whew! My son gently picks up the pullet (Lucy) and places her back outside of the enclosure. The littles come out of their little place where they were huddling, start foraging like nothing ever happened. All is good. Well, I am sitting in a chair visiting with the little ones and Lucy decides that she wants back in. She tries to jump on the hardware cloth fence (right behind my chair where I was sitting) but it's not super taut so it's a bit wobbly under her weight. She goes to jump down inside the enclosure and one of her toes gets caught in a square of the HC. So there she is, squawking and hanging upside down by a toe. I'm there in a flash. Pick her up, get her toe out and sit down in the chair with her and hold her. I look at her foot and everything looks ok. I think I got to her really fast before she could flail about and damage anything. So now she's sitting on my lap and I'm just petting her and talking to her. After a bit she wants down so I let her. I want to see the interaction. To see where we are on a tolerance level. The littles pretty much avoid her. She doesn't go after them. BUT! When they were inside the little coop run grabbing a bite of food while she was outside of it foraging, she took notice and made her way over there. Came thru the doorway with a little speed and ran off the littles from the food dish. She just stood there. But they gave her her space. I lured her away from the food, gently picked her up and placed her back over the fence. So food bullying/guarding may be an issue. So multiple feeding stations will definitely be necessary once I combine them all. I think they have a little ways to go yet before I try tho.
Oh my. I bet you freaked out there for a second. I'm glad Lucy is ok.

Back
Top Bottom