➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

That makes sense; when you know you know. And sorry, I realize now that my post could have come across kind of rude.

And I think I heard of someone that was a grandmother at 24 cause I think they both got pregnant at 12
Not at all kdog lol, I don’t think you’re capable of being rude.

Pregnant at 12... yikes, is all I can say.

My grandmother was married at 14, and began having children right after, my mother was the last of 9 when my grandmother was in her forties! I was 5 (turning 20 in March) when she died from Alzheimer’s and other complications at 74 years old. Her oldest daughter is the same age as my dad’s mother. :oops:

My grandmother was married at 14, and began having children right after, my mother was the last of 9 when my grandmother was in her forties! I was 5 (turning 20 in March) when she died from Alzheimer’s and other complications at 74 years old. Her oldest daughter is the same age as my dad’s mother. :oops:
Wow! That’s crazy haha. So are your older aunts (and uncles?) more like grandparents to you?

It’s so important for teenage mothers to have a strong support system around them. Unfortunately there’s just so many cases where the girls are shunned by their families and social circles and doomed to fail with no help or guidance.. it’s heartbreaking.
Sounds like your grandmother did just fine though!

Wow! That’s crazy haha. So are your older aunts (and uncles?) more like grandparents to you?

It’s so important for teenage mothers to have a strong support system around them. Unfortunately there’s just so many cases where the girls are shunned by their families and social circles and doomed to fail with no help or guidance.. it’s heartbreaking.
It is important for them for sure.
My grandmother...well...She was born in rural 1930s Kansas, The Dust Bowl was her young childhood memories! She had to grow up fast, but in all actuality she wasn’t the most fantastic mother... My mom’s father died when my mom was age 9, she left my mom and ran off to find another man since she didn’t know how to live without one.

Yes my closest “grandmother” figure is my aunt. :) My mom, and her two “older” siblings were raised by her two older sisters and their children. I could have had a real grandmother figure but my dad’s mother never stepped up to the task. My great-grandmother was a much better figure, attended my 3° soccer games every single weekend. :DMy grandfather definitely did his best to be the greatest grandfather a girl could have though, before I lost him on Black Friday when I was 9. He tried to teach me to clean bullets, and reload them, and liked to microwave pop tarts while they were still in the wrapper. :rolleyes: I don’t really remember how to do those things anymore since it’s been so long, but I’ll cherish those memories.

Wow those were some big memories reappearing. :oops:

But moral of the story!!! It’s not so common anymore for young mothers, but a strong support system, and keeping everyone together is so important. They need those things to help them through those stressful times.

Ooo, that sounds delicious, minus the pecans. Seems very labor intensive and a little scary haha! But man, I’m craving buttery toffee fudge now.

It sounds delicious

LOL thanks!

And yeah, my same reaction.

It is important for them for sure.
My grandmother...well...She was born in rural 1930s Kansas, The Dust Bowl was her young childhood memories! She had to grow up fast, but in all actuality she wasn’t the most fantastic mother... My mom’s father died when my mom was age 9, she left my mom and ran off to find another man since she didn’t know how to live without one.

Yes my closest “grandmother” figure is my aunt. :) My mom, and her two “older” siblings were raised by her two older sisters and their children. I could have had a real grandmother figure but my dad’s mother never stepped up to the task. My great-grandmother was a much better figure, attended my 3° soccer games every single weekend. :DMy grandfather definitely did his best to be the greatest grandfather a girl could have though, before I lost him on Black Friday when I was 9. He tried to teach me to clean bullets, and reload them, and liked to microwave pop tarts while they were still in the wrapper. :rolleyes: I don’t really remember how to do those things anymore since it’s been so long, but I’ll cherish those memories.

Wow those were some big memories reappearing. :oops:

But moral of the story!!! It’s not so common anymore for young mothers, but a strong support system, and keeping everyone together is so important. They need those things to help them through those stressful times.

Wow sounds complicated but cool. So is her sister more like her mother than a sister then?

In my genealogy research I've learned a lot about early family life.....
In the late 1800s and early 1900s farm families were large. A baby was born about every two years...no birth control then other than mothers nursing their baby. Children began working on the farms at very young ages. Older siblings were "assigned" younger children to care for and teach chores. This often meant older daughters raised their younger siblings when the mother was ill or died.

In town, men frequented brothels so families were slightly smaller. (Learned that tidbit from my great grandmother)

During the Depression and Dust Bowl eras, families encouraged young daughters to marry so there would be one less mouth to feed or so her husband would provide financial support/work for family.
Young women often became stepmothers to children whose mother died from birthing complications. The husbands were older and often chose women without children to marry....or as in my Hubby's family...the man who married his great grandmother, refused to raise his young wife's two children. Thus her parents/the grandparents raised her children. My grandmother was 16 when she married my grandfather. He was 41.

Only after World War I did the size of families begin to reduce. Mechanization (tractors with implements, factory jobs) and some changing societal roles/involvement of women helped begin the process.

It sounds delicious

LOL thanks!

And yeah, my same reaction.

Wow sounds complicated but cool. So is her sister more like her mother than a sister then?
Kind of. She still thinks of them as her sisters, but for mother’s day she always sends the one who raised her through her teen years flowers, and before I was born, asked her to be my grandmother figure since she knew her actual mother was physically incapable of doing it since the health problems.

In my genealogy research I've learned a lot about early family life.....
In the late 1800s and early 1900s farm families were large. A baby was born about every two years...no birth control then other than mothers nursing their baby. Children began working on the farms at very young ages. Older siblings were "assigned" younger children to care for and teach chores. This often meant older daughters raised their younger siblings when the mother was ill or died.

In town, men frequented brothels so families were slightly smaller. (Learned that tidbit from my great grandmother)

During the Depression and Dust Bowl eras, families encouraged young daughters to marry so there would be one less mouth to feed or so her husband would provide financial support/work for family.
Young women often became stepmothers to children whose mother died from birthing complications. The husbands were older and often chose women without children to marry....or as in my Hubby's family...the man who married his great grandmother, refused to raise his young wife's two children. Thus her parents/the grandparents raised her children. My grandmother was 16 when she married my grandfather. He was 41.

Only after World War I did the size of families begin to reduce. Mechanization (tractors with implements, factory jobs) and some changing societal roles/involvement of women helped begin the process.
:goodpost:
This is exactly how my grandmother had to live, except my grandfather was 19-21 (I can’t remember exactly) when he married her, but he did have a child already before, although uncommon to hear such about such a young couple. They were living on farmland, extremely poor, raised all of their animals for eating, or producing more, some welfare was brought in because they would go days without food. The kids had to get things from the Dump and clean it up. My mom said she remembered helping her father butcher the chickens. She never got to help with the rabbits but they were always hung up. Cow was raised for milking, and they had a pet pig but she ended up being an actual farm sized pig so much later on my mom realized when the pig went missing, and they had bacon after, you know rest.

My dad doesn’t know very much of his grandparents’ pasts, all he remembers was riding the old horse and my great grandfather and grandfather breaking colts for the farm fields, and to move the beef cattle.

I wish I had been raised in those settings, I guess in a much smaller setting, I’m sort of living it now.

Back
Top Bottom