➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

Most likely due to poor genetics caused by inbreeding. If it was mine, I would have culled it to make sure it does not get into anyone's breeding program.
It's not my birds offspring so I'm not too worried about it continuing on in my flock.

I'm kind of upset because it just seems like this hatch it sucking big time 😭

Can I wait for it to grow up before I dispatch it? Would still be good for meat, correct?
If it survives it may be okay for meat but at this time it is unknown if it will even survive or produce a worthwhile quantity of meat. Too often when people actually raise these poor genetic birds, they end up becoming a pet and end up in someone's breeding program passing on their bad genetics to future generations.

It's not my birds offspring so I'm not too worried about it continuing on in my flock.

I'm kind of upset because it just seems like this hatch it sucking big time 😭
If the source is a flock of chickens with poor genetics, it is not surprising that the hatch is doing poorly.

If it survives it may be okay for meat but at this time it is unknown if it will even survive or produce a worthwhile quantity of meat. Too often when people actually raise these poor genetic birds, they end up becoming a pet and end up in someone's breeding program passing on their bad genetics to future generations.
Would there be a way to separate it from my flock? If it's a Pullet, it could still lay good eggs, correct?

@RUNuts Whatever became of your rescue duck?
After much debate, we decided that she should have other ducks. I was not in a position to increase the duck flock, so she went to Chicken Rancher to join his (where the barnyard surprise eggs come from). Apparently, there was a drake and the flock is raising ducklings. He went from a half dozen to look at all those ducks!

And she lived happily ever after...

His flock of ducks are pets for his grandchildren.

If the source is a flock of chickens with poor genetics, it is not surprising that the hatch is doing poorly.
This actually isn't the bad eggs (free eggs). These are from the organic farm that are down the road and I have never had any issues with any of their chicks. I get 90% hatch rate from them usually and they're very nice chicks. This is the first time I've had issues with them.

Back
Top Bottom