🆘SOS🆘 MITES ON DAY OLD CHICKS AND BROODY HENS 😡

CrazyClucks

Chirping
Nov 6, 2020
I am in need of help/advice ASAP!! I go to check on my broody Cochin bantam girls yesterday evening to see if their eggs are hatching yet. I reach my hands into their brood box and lift their fluffy rumps up just a tad to look under them and I see two extra little gray feet! I get super excited and gently grab the little one to inspect further in daylight. As I’m retracting my arms I see A MIIIIIILLION tiny crawly specks on my arms and hands and a good bit on the baby chick 😭😭 I quickly placed it back with mom and I jumped so hard into panic mode my shoes came off lol I ran into the house and quickly concocted permethrin spray and my less harmful “Mite-B-Gone” spray (which is vegetable oil, water and dawn dish soap, shook extremely well in a spray bottle). I sprayed a plastic tote with my less harmful spray, placed some hay in it and sprayed that a tad too. Then I placed both the hens, chick and eggs in there so I could deep clean their heavily infested brooder. I spray the hell out of every square INCH of the area with the permethrin spray and burned all the bedding material and even sprayed the area AGAIN lol I still have the moms and eggs in the tote because they are COVERED in the darn crawlers.... the hens are looking a bit anemic so I gave them a bit of molasses, browned beef, and fresh steamed spinach, which helped give some color back to their face and combs. I’m extremely worried for the chick however. It appears to be acting normal but I know those mites will end up killing it if I don’t do something quickly. What can I use as a mite killer that won’t harm the new chick or the soon to be hatchlings?? Is there anything I can put directly on the hens as well as the chick to kill the mites?

I'm not sure if Dictomous earth protects against mites... It can be put on chickens directly
I can try using that but I’ve been doing a ton of research and some sites say that it’s used as a preventative for mites and some say it kills the mites after several uses. 😩 I’m just worried it won’t totally get rid of them and I’ve read that it’s bad for them to inhale so I’m at a lose-lose situation 😭😭

I would move the mama and babies to a clean nest... You can put bedding in a dog cage or something, just to keep the babies safe
I moved them to a clean nest area as soon as I realized they were infested but I’m worried about the mites that are physically still on them and just multiplying constantly 😭😭 I hate the little blood suckers and I’m extremely worried about the chicks dying from them...

Hmmm... Evacuate the mama and babies and dust some D. Earth into theur feathers. Cover the coop in mite repellants.. Keep mama and babies safe until the coop is clean

Hmmm... Evacuate the mama and babies and dust some D. Earth into theur feathers. Cover the coop in mite repellants.. Keep mama and babies safe until the coop is clean
I’m definitely trying to keep them safe 😩

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    677.3 KB · Views: 43
Aw mama brought her friend along
They’re actually sisters so of course they have to do everything together lol even go broody at the same time 😂😂 which actually worked out really well so that one could go out of the brooder and get some sunlight while getting food and water and the other hen would steal the eggs while she was gone lol then they’d swap roles when the other was done 🥰

We battled mites all year last year, and Elector PSP was the only thing that got rid of them. We lost a chick to them and almost lost a second chick, had to nurse it back to health because it was so anemic. I hope your chick is doing okay!

Back
Top Bottom