🌿 Propagation Thread 🌿

OlympicChick

🌞East of the Sun and West of the Moon🌝
Sep 22, 2018
Bremerton, WA
My Coop
My Coop
I'm hoping for this to be a thread about different propagation techniques.

I did a forum search and even though there are threads that ask how to propagate certain plants, I couldn't find a dedicated one, so hopefully this thread will stick around for a while.

I just started teaching myself how to propagate different types of plants, but I'm going to start over because I don't have covers on any of the pots and I think I need covers to catch humidity in order to make this really work. So far this is what I'm trying to reproduce: Two different roses, sage, wild lilacs (California lilacs), passionflower, clematis and rosemary.

My husband is growing apple trees from seed just for fun (we know that we won't get the same apple), just to see what will happen. My SIL has volunteer cherry trees that we are going to dig up and replant on our property. We hope we will get pie cherries off of them, but if we can't eat the cherries, we hope at least the birds will, or we can use the trees as rootstock for other cultivars.🌿

Rootstock supplies
www.fedcoseeds.com
www.burntridgenursery.com

Good threads that discuss propagation/grafting
Pg 58 starts discussing grafting fruit trees: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-conventional-garden-methods.1114524/page-58

@Arielle2 posted two good videos for grafting: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...entional-garden-methods.1114524/post-19872289

Last edited:
We cut the top off of a non-flowering mulberry tree we had in our yard and grafted on cuttings from fruit trees in our neighborhood (pears, apples and cherries)!!

Silly us. This was before we knew anything about grafting. Now I have a funny looking tree :p
IMG_1407.jpeg
Obviously, now we know this will not work, but we learned stuff from doing it.

Aloha! You can totally do this. I know that we are in different climates and hot and humid is awesome up to a point for sure. I used to do lots of propagation... matter of fact i did it for a living for many, many years, have propagated almost everything. Obviously almost all plants can be propagated by cutting or slip. Where products like root-tone/Vit B type can help, I have never really noticed fantastically better results due to its use. I believe in keeping it simple with a few rules. Good drainage, keep moist but not sopping wet, shade with some filtered sun (like under a nice tree if warm enough), NO fertilizers till cuttings are rooted, only light dose of time release approx 1-2 weeks after transplanting. I put several (10-20 increase your odds) pencil size cuttings (remove most leaves and all below the soil line) in a regular pot with a vermiculite mix, stick in shady spot and water a little and ignore it except for watering every so many days depending on weather. After a few weeks you may get some leaves... ignore it till you can see little bit root through the drainage holes. My best propagation happens when I use a mister for a week plus and keep any leaves moist.
Being you are in a colder climate you will need to adjust and create as you can, but keep the rules simple.
20200605_094403.jpg
IMG_20190613_080040603.jpg
20191108_141508 (2).jpg
IMG_20190613_075901861 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Aloha!

When we lived in Hawaii (Oahu) we grew cherry tomatoes, and they were the absolute best. They never stopped growing and producing. Everyone said that tomatoes couldn't be done, but we succeeded! Our zucchini was amazing too :)

What is that vining plant on the side of your chicken run? It's beautiful. All your pictures are beautiful.

I've looked at so many videos for propagation and everyone seems to do it differently. One thing that confuses me is why some people remove all the leaves on a cutting and others leave a few top leaves. From what I can figure out, I think that leaving the leaves on top provides the cutting with food from the sun. But then why do a lot of people remove all the leaves?

I did use rooting hormone because I figured it could only help. If this works maybe in the future I'll try to do it without the hormone (once the bottle is empty).

I think I am going to take more cuttings and just try to root as many as I can. It seems that it will increase my odds.

Aloha!

When we lived in Hawaii (Oahu) we grew cherry tomatoes, and they were the absolute best. They never stopped growing and producing. Everyone said that tomatoes couldn't be done, but we succeeded! Our zucchini was amazing too :)

What is that vining plant on the side of your chicken run? It's beautiful. All your pictures are beautiful.

I've looked at so many videos for propagation and everyone seems to do it differently. One thing that confuses me is why some people remove all the leaves on a cutting and others leave a few top leaves. From what I can figure out, I think that leaving the leaves on top provides the cutting with food from the sun. But then why do a lot of people remove all the leaves?

I did use rooting hormone because I figured it could only help. If this works maybe in the future I'll try to do it without the hormone (once the bottle is empty).

I think I am going to take more cuttings and just try to root as many as I can. It seems that it will increase my odds.
Yes cherry toms!!! :love My choice is sweet 100's, can be never ending boosting fruit yield and garden esteem builder lol.
Yes, some leaves for photosynthesis but the cutting can not afford to put the effort to too many leaves, most will drop anyways and cause rubbish so you are kinda of doing advance house keeping, plus it will need it's energy to put into the roots. If i remember correctly it is the same tissue energy that goes to the roots and foliage, you are just better directing it.

I think you should do an experiment. 1/2 your cuttings with your rooting hormone and 1/2 without. You may notice a difference and worth checking out. Also put screen or double your pot and turn so both pukas do not line up. That will save you some grief if you choose to use vermiculite.
Vine is Clerodendrum Thomsoniae. just awesome for brightening a chicken run desert lol. They seem to leave it alone.
How are you liking Washington? Must be beautiful there :D

I'm about 6 months late to this thread, but from my searching I found you so will add on here instead of a completely new thread. I was inspired by my growing sweet potatoes and discovered you can start them in water. Also discovered they are a vine, and in some parts of the world you can't plant them out of an inclosed structure or they become a noxious weed. 2 weeks growing
JPEG_20210105_104610_1835348343756719585.jpg

Next up is one of the more popular water propagators, pine apple. I did just twist it out of the fruit and didn't take the extra off but it's doing well for now. 2 weeks growing
JPEG_20210105_104903_2538747345631970481.jpg

And then the most popular,avocado. Not sure what they are doing (1 week in water)
JPEG_20210105_105128_376906811142610189.jpg

My husband is growing apple trees from seed just for fun (we know that we won't get the same apple), just to see what will happen. My SIL has volunteer cherry trees that we are going to dig up and replant on our property. We hope we will get pie cherries off of them, but if we can't eat the cherries, we hope at least the birds will, or we can use the trees as rootstock for other cultivars.🌿

Do you have an existing apple tree? If so, let the seedling grow until they get the size of limbs you prune from your tree. Then you graft the pruning to the seeding two inch above the ground. Lots of videos on this. Then its like cloning the apple tree you have.

Back
Top Bottom