🎄Christmas🎄 Hatch-Along

I thought I had two broody silkies they were in the nesting boxes at night today so I put them in my other coop for broody hens to hatch out eggs. And today they are walking around so I don’t think they’re broody! ☹️ I was going to hatch out some duck eggs and was already talking to a person on craigslist. Bummer! 😕

I thought I had two broody silkies they were in the nesting boxes at night today so I put them in my other coop for broody hens to hatch out eggs. And today they are walking around so I don’t think they’re broody! ☹️ I was going to hatch out some duck eggs and was already talking to a person on craigslist. Bummer! 😕
I would leave them in the broody coop, they will likely be broody again. Give them a bunch of fake eggs.

I only have 3 nesting boxes for 19 hens I really can’t have them using 2 of my nesting boxes. 😬
Could there be a reason they preferred to sleep in the nest instead of roosting overnight? Maybe being bullied? If they were broody though often moving them can break the broodiness :confused: esp if they are first time mumma hens.
If they aren't broody (anymore) you can't force them to go broody so I'd just put them back with the others and see if they go to roost at night and watch if there's any bullying ☺️

🎄:jumpyI couldn't find a Christmas Hatch-Along to join so I'll just start one here!

If anyone is hatching around Christmas time feel free to join in, I do love pics!! Set date for chickens is about now! :wee

My 9.5 year old Silkie went broody yesterday as I expected. She lays 12 eggs then goes broody like clockwork 😄 So today I'll set her eggs underneath her and hope they're fertile! Her name is 'Queen' Chickaletta. She is outlasting any chicken I've owned and still laying and still healthy as always nothing ever wrong with her, never been sick, nothing! She is picky with which roosters she likes so she may not have fertile eggs 🙁 Biscuit my rooster is a good boy and dances around her but I haven't seen the deed done but maybe hopefully in secret! ..I will put some of Boofs eggs under Chickaletta too because I know they are fertile so at least she'll have some hatchlings if her's don't hatch.
It will be fun to see what colours pop out with the white hens and Biscuit. Never know what's hiding under a white!

Pic Chickaletta and Biscuit..
View attachment 2916519
Wow, 9.5 years old!

Back
Top Bottom