šŸ£šŸ„Black Copper Marans and Whiting True Blues. Lots of videosšŸŽ„

Dear Chicken Diary,
The BCM are 16 weeks old and halfway crowing every morning at about 7:30. The first 3 or 4 nights of the new coop, the BCM paced around until dark and then slept in the corner of the coop. I put a saw horse in there and they roosted on that for a night then moved over to the actual perch after that.
The hackles are becoming a brilliant copper color and expanding daily. Iā€™m looking forward to when the saddle feathers fill out.
The whiting true blue are becoming aware of hawks after a missed attack last week. They seem to know the difference between a hawk and vulture already and will take shelter under the dry woodpile for their mid day siestas.

IMG_1885.jpeg
IMG_1892.jpeg
IMG_1878.jpeg

Thanks! Iā€™ll be happy when both flocks can stay in the big coop at night. The WTBs are in a 4x4 temporary coop. The marans will chase the whitings anytime they get close. Maybe when the whitings get around 12 weeks old they can work it out.

This thread has turned into a lonely diary. I guess the slow motion chicken movies put everybody to sleep.

Dear Chicken Diary,
Hereā€™s a photo of a whiting true blue cockerel age 8 weeks. Extremely vibrant yellow legs and coral colored comb. Yellow beak. Possibly due to the multi colored whole grain Indian corn?
Nicknamed Cupcake. Friendly and inquisitive. Was hatched as chimpmunk pattern without a line on his face. I wouldnā€™t know where to begin to describe his color and pattern except mottled blue/gray tail and body with red wings. Hints of barring on head and hackles.
-TB
View attachment 3741811

View attachment 3741812View attachment 3741813
Thatā€™s going to be a stunning rooster!

This cockerel is very similar looking to his brother. The gray and red are a little more subtle and smoky.
This bird is the most skittish of the brood around us and consequently he is the last to feed and also the last to enter the coop at night. He will be the first to be rehomed. My son said it was ok if we ate this one first haha. Heā€™s a beautiful little bird. If youā€™re local and want himā€¦ heā€™s yours.

IMG_1930.jpeg
IMG_1902.jpeg

Last edited:
This cockerel was black when hatched with a white spot on his head and white eye liner. He was the last to hatch and I partially assisted him getting out of the shell. He initially was the friendliest chick and now is still one of the first to come running over to see me. Heā€™s got a full face with a beard. His hackles are hinting to be striking and prominent.
I call him Rocky Top. He had the spot on the top of his head and reminded of a barred rockā€¦ he also gets his corn from a jar šŸ«™ .
It will be hard for me to get rid of this one once he matures.
IMG_1923.jpeg
IMG_1922.jpeg

Iā€™m jealous, those are way prettier than mine!
I donā€™t believe that. Iā€™d like to see how your chicks are doing.
The person I got the eggs from said she has had her flock for 8 years, so I imagine sheā€™s shaped their looks a bit. She said she likes to select for barred and beards.

This gray/blue pullet is unique to the other chicks in the brood. She has a solid gray color and pattern that hasnā€™t changed much since she hatched. Sheā€™s a pretty one and a little slow reacting, not always paying attention to the flock.
IMG_1908.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom