🔥Extra! Extra! WE ARE ABOUT IT✅

Are you in it to win it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Extra is extra! No matter how small, all the changes add up. And feeling better it definitely the ultimate goal! Sometimes you don't even realize you were feeling yucky until you stop feeling that way. We are amazingly adaptive creatures, we can suffer so much before we hit a point that it's glaringly obvious something is not right.
Lol, oh i have def known "something is not right!" But I have been in such sorry shape for the last several years that I have hardly been ABLE to do anything about it until very recently. I am at Baby Steps, but I know that by being faithful in doing them, I will get better and stronger over time! 👍😊

okay I have a real chicken question…I know this isn’t the thread for it but you all can likely answer it in a snap. One of my leghorns appears to have a problem with her comb…

She is being pecked by the others for sure with the appearance of scabbing, but the tips of her comb have been changing color and this morning it is much worse. I applied vetrycin and anti-biotic cream yesterday and that seems to have made it worse. Her feathers directly under her comb on her head also are worn away. I’m not sure if that is due to pecking or irritation.

I absolutely love these little girls and this is breaking my heart.

Any suggestions?

52AA074E-72FC-42BF-8E81-72A00A29CF24.jpeg
B4BF8314-94FC-445A-B8B0-4D1EC2D7705A.jpeg

okay I have a real chicken question…I know this isn’t the thread for it but you all can likely answer it in a snap. One of my leghorns appears to have a problem with her comb…

She is being pecked by the others for sure with the appearance of scabbing, but the tips of her comb have been changing color and this morning it is much worse. I applied vetrycin and anti-biotic cream yesterday and that seems to have made it worse. Her feathers directly under her comb on her head also are worn away. I’m not sure if that is due to pecking or irritation.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 2954272View attachment 2954273
Not saying this is what it is but when hens quit laying (usually during a molt) their combs lose their bright red color. The comb starts turning a bright red color again as they near the point when they start laying again.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 2954272View attachment 2954273
Have you had freezing temps?

In humans frostbite is waxy. The tips of her comb look waxy to me. I've never dealt with frostbite before tho:hmm

Not saying this is what it is but when hens quit laying (usually during a molt) their combs lose their bright red color. The comb starts turning a bright red color again as they near the point when they start laying again.
Thanks she is one of my new girls hatched in may and I laying like a champ. I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing to help her…it just looks so irritated. I understand the meaning behind “one tough bird”. If my head felt as uncomfortable as that looked, I’d be on pain meds for sure🤣

The ends of her comb seem a bit blistered too. I will keep an eye on her. Thanks❤️

Have you had freezing temps?

In humans frostbite is waxy. The tips of her comb look waxy to me. I've never dealt with frostbite before tho:hmm
Yes the other night got pretty really cold. Maybe she’s just delicate. My other leghorns are fine which is why I was concerned. If it doesn’t look out of the ordinary, I won’t mess with her too much.

Oh the waxy substance is likely the antibiotics ointment i put on her yesterday.

Does not look like frostbite to me. Frostbitten combs turn dark and black.
My understanding is that black coloration doesn't occur until after the tissue is dead. Right?
She would need more circulation to help the early stages of frostbite. The waxy feeling I'm talking about comes before black.

Yes the other night got pretty really cold. Maybe she’s just delicate. My other leghorns are fine which is why I was concerned. If it doesn’t look out of the ordinary, I won’t mess with her too much.

Oh the waxy substance is likely the antibiotics ointment i put on her yesterday.
Oh I see😉

My understanding is that black coloration doesn't occur until after the tissue is dead. Right?
She would need more circulation to help the early stages of frostbite. The waxy feeling I'm talking about comes before black.
I get frostbite on rooster combs every winter. The first sign I notice is the darkened tips. Interesting thing is that while I have roosters get frostbite, none of my leghorn hens have gotten frostbite even though in some cases their combs are bigger than the rooster combs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom