🥺 Finally no more Lurking!

Welcome to BYC! This is an awesome community of poultry keepers and experts who are all very excited to jump in and answer whatever questions you may have ☺️
9B77EC11-82E8-4ABE-8420-39BC289EB95E.jpeg

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I’m new to chickens, but had ducks when I was younger. I’ve always wanted chickens and finally got them this year when my family wanted to incubate eggs from an honesty box (they were intended for eating but when I pointed out that the first egg cracked was fertile, family wanted to keep them). Only one Of the eggs hatched because of storage conditions, but that how it started.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
(3) What breeds do you have?
Bantam orpingtons, Japanese bantam, and the mystery bantam that I hatched (possible silky mix)

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
How different individual chickens are, their personalities and social lives.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Art, aquariums, taxidermy, basically biology/animal related anything- it all intersects. ;p

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I’m from Australia, so seasonal challenges here differ from the US. But my fiancé is working on a homestead in the US, one day I’d like to join her and keep as big as a flock I’d like.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I’ve lurked for two years, whilst reading up and researching what I could, waiting for the right time to get chickens. Now I have them! Though a little birdmergency pushed me to join sooner- my birds haven’t had a chance to come out of the brooder yet!
Hi :frow I'm in Adelaide with four hens in the backyard. With your banties you'd get on with Ribh! She loves bantams. Which state are you in? Rural or urban? If you want some chook chat, join in on MJ's little flock. It's not too fast, just a few posts every day, mostly photos. @Ribh 's thread is another really good one with a few Aussies on it. Have a great Sunday!

Back
Top Bottom