0 % hatch

priccabona

Chirping
Sep 20, 2015
I am so sad.. we set 96 coturnix eggs, on Dec 28. Did lock down on Jan 11, should have hatched on Jan 14.. We have had temp fluctuations.. and corrected.. but at times got down to 34c and up to 39c, was at 39 for a couple of hours, a couple of times. did the dry incubation, but it still stayed around 30 - 40%. Last time we set eggs, we had the same problems, with the incubator temp.. but mostly it went low then, .. never high. out of 34 eggs 24 hatched..but, by accident, the humidity was anywhere from 40-80% (I didn't know how to regulate it). We have had 0 eggs hatch this time, none even to pip. Could it be the highs that got them? humidity? or is there still a chance some might hatch? Yes there are boys with the girls..this is only our second attempt at hatching.. just very sad to have 0%.. Yes, we have thermometers,and yes, tried to keep them the same temp as last time.. 37.6c. Should we trash these eggs? or keep for another day?

I would suggest that if you do decide to give up on the hatch you don't simply "trash" the eggs, but rather do some eggtopsies to determine the point of development of them so you can pinpoint when they stopped developing and identify whether it was during the fluctuating temperatures or at another point which may help you identify another issue you have not considered that is contributing to this outcome.

yes, with my nosy nature, I would have to check them.. I just hate to, its so many eggs... What would be the longest time that you would wait to see if they are going to hatch? I keep smelling, lol to see if they smell rotten, but I don't smell anything... Thanks for the input on this.. hope to get more replies as to what others opinions are...

Have you held any up to your ear and tapped on it to see if you hear any chirps? Have you candled any to see if there is movement?

Well well well...Finally, one made an appearance...there are several more that have pips...one hatched about,15 min ago....this would be day 19..several eggs rocking...can't wait to see how this hatch goes..

That is great! Did you mention if you have additional thermometers or hygrometers in your incubator? I have a couple of them in addition to what the incubator has. This way I can see if there is a difference in the inside temperature or humidity. My first time using an incubator I only used the thermometer and hygrometer that are on the incubator. That first batch was terrible only three hatch the rest did not make it. Good luck with your hatch.

Yes we do..try to go with 2 our of 3..thanks again for the info! Will let you know how many hatch

If I remember correctly their incubation time is 17 days. I did some last year that hatched right on time. With them 2 days late it would indicate that your average temp was too low. The humidity you ran at was fine. That's what I did mine at and had a 100% hatch rate all 3 attempts last spring. I would suspect temp is your issue.

yes, we locked down on day 14.. day 17 would have been Thursday the 14th.. They started hatching yesterday evening.. which would be day 19.. out of 96 eggs, 16 have hatched.. still more have pips, willing to take what we can get at this point.. we have 2 incubators.. 48 eggs each.. all the hatches have come out of one incubator.. none in the other one have hatched.

Back
Top Bottom