1 1/2 week old lethargic barred rock

Quote:
Problem could be caused by many things. Next go around I recommend against taking chicks outside. Just going outside is stressfull enough (temperature and handling stress) plus may have been exposed to pathogen or parasites of which some are fast acting. Hen raised outside not a problem as chicks acclimated to it.

Plants probably not a problem but my birds do not start consuming those until around 2 weeks of age and then it is things like new growth on clover.

could I have over handled? after about day 3 i would handle each one so they would be use to living in a backyard environment with my kids etc... I have access to another chic that is a week younger than my current flock, would it be ok to introduce the new one?

Quote:
Possibilities many for cause of problem. When I handle repeatedly, which I do alot with birds being trained for some purpose, chick and my hands stay within confines of brooder. Also when picking them up, let them stand on your hand versus holding them like puppy or kitten. Even as they mature, if possible let them stand on you as it is less stressfull.

I have integrated little bitties with age differences as you are considering. Outcome very much a function of breeds involved. If possible, then at time of introduction hand feed all birds in brooder with meal worms and move waterers and feeders to new locations. Will distract larger chicks from new comer and hopefully get them to bond while chasing same morsels.

Quote:
If right handed, hold chick in left with head away from you. Place middle finger of right hand against last segment of thumb and as you try to extend middle finger hoild it back with thumb. This store energy for a flicking action. Practice flicking agains palm of left hand or leg. Should produce a nice snap that smarts a little. Now do same to back / base of chicks head. The harder, the better. Back of chicks skull still very delicate so one flicking action usually adequate. If comfortable, then youo could also use a wooden dowel for same impact at base of head.

Some decapitate with scissors. There are threads dealing with euthanizing birds. I will look up.

Process not fun. I have to euthanize animals fairly regularly and it is something hopefully you will not become used to.

See following link: http://www.ahc.umn.edu/rar/euthanasia.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom