1 1/2 week old lethargic barred rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bleith, May 27, 2011.

1. bleith

bleith Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I have a 1 1/2 week old barred plymouth rock chic that was doing great, came home today and seems very lethargic and no energy. I have a mixed flock of 2 australorps, 1 delaware and the rock. all chics. any ideas

2. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I feel like Im turning into a vitamin pusher BUT I find them to do Wonders with chicks, polyvisol with no iron.......Ive had babies that couldnt stand up, walk and after 1 or 2 doses they were running around, I Love the stuff, I just squirt it right in their mouth

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  3. bleith

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    polyvisol, where can get it? is it an over the counter type of thing? do you need to get it from a feed store?

4. Mama Hen Chris

Mama Hen Chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Peoria, AZ
    You can get it at the grocery store, Walgreens, CVS, Rite-aid, etc.

It is liquid vitamins for babies.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:What does its crop feel like?

6. Keeter

Keeter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    We had a similar situation just yesterday. Wife came out with young chick in hand, very lethargic. Felt like the crop was empty, and the breastbone was very palpable also. It's like the bird had just somehow quit eating and drinking. She separated it, putting it into a small cat carrier, with water that had electrolytes added, and some food. Just left it alone. It started taking water by the time she walked away. Today, the bird looks good as new. Crop and body feel full again. It's holding its head upright, where yesterday it would just let it hang. We did nothing special except separate it and give it time. We have no idea why it seems to have quit drinking and eating to get itself into that condition. Seems healthy as ever again now.

7. bleith

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    I may have some electolyt packets for water, should I try that or go get the polyvisol? first time chicken owner, hate to lose this one

8. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I should have mentioned with the first chick of mine that went down I gave him karo syrup and water with a syringe plus the vitamins, the others I just did the vitamins and they were good as new

9. bleith

Aug 10, 2010
    West Dundee IL
    hate to sound stupid but what is the crop? stomach?

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:It is a sack-like expansion of the oesaphagus that stores food. Most birds do not have a stomach that can also store large volumes so crop plays that role. When distended (full), it usually appears as a lump on front right side of chickens chest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by