HELP! Chicken is off balence and can't walk right.

Goatlover09

Chirping
Aug 8, 2023
Hey. My 1 1/2 year old barred rock hen has been off the past 2 days. She eats and drinks but she is lethargic and is stumbling when she walks. When I picked her up she was VERY thin. I have added vitamens to water but I cannot currentely put her by hersellf. What is going on?

Do you have a dog crate that you can put her in, inside her coop? Add food and water. Can you get her drinking some sugar water (1 tsp sugar per cup of water) or electrolytes? How does her crop feel—empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? Has she laid eggs recently? She may be dehydrated from her legs issue, but could she have been kept from eating or drinking by the others? What have her poops looked like?

Do you have a dog crate that you can put her in, inside her coop? Add food and water. Can you get her drinking some sugar water (1 tsp sugar per cup of water) or electrolytes? How does her crop feel—empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft? Has she laid eggs recently? She may be dehydrated from her legs issue, but could she have been kept from eating or drinking by the others? What have her poops looked like?
Crop is normal, it empties after she eats. I have noticed a decrease of eggs in general so I assume no. She goes to the feeders/waterers with out the others keeping her from them.

If she has any abnormal poops, please post a picture. Worming might be something you may want to do with Valbazen or SafeGuard liquid goat wormer. Cancer is very common in hens, unfortunately, and could be a cause of weight loss, even though she is eating. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom