1 chick died yesterday, trying to prevent more

TheCopperCoop

Chirping
Mar 9, 2021
Helena, Montana, USA
We're very concerned about our 5 day old Mille Fleur D'Uccle bantams.

On Wednesday we received 10 chicks from MPC.

Four mille fleur D'Uccles bantams and 6 assorted standard sizes chicks.

When we put them in the brooder (day 1) they all were shown the water and food and we're doing just fine. They are on pine shavings covered with paper towels and I put sav-a-chick electrolytes in their water for the first few days post shipping.

On Thursday (day 2) morning I lifted up the the heat plate to change the paper towel and one of the bantams was laying on its side, not moving and breathing hard. One eye was closed. We separated her out and tried helping her drink and eat by ultimately she passed away a few hours later. At that time the rest of the chicks seemed fine. We called MPC and they suggested it's was likely a less hardy chick.

Today, Friday morning (day 3), I go in to check on the chicks and another bantam is very lethargic, not as bad as the chick yesterday morning, but noticably less active than the other chicks. Standing but wobbly, eyes mostly closed and breathing hard. I'm waiting for a call back from MPC for any advice but also wanted to ask here.

Here are my questions:

1. Generally what would people recommend? I've read on similar threads about treating with corid even though there's no other symptoms.

2. If we do treat with corid, should we treat the whole flock even though there are no other symptoms or just the one chick with a syringe?

3. Should we separate out the wobbly chick? Or will that be too stressful for her? Should we just separate out the bantams? We're worried about the other chicks bullying on her. We've noticed them running over and pecking at her face, they did this with the other weak chick on Thursday morning.

Other info: They have plenty of space now, 9 chicks in a stock tank with 2 red-light heat lamps, 1 brinsea heat plate. Temp under heat lamps says 95°. Feed is Kalmbach Medicates chick feed.

We're very concerned about our 5 day old Mille Fleur D'Uccle bantams.

On Wednesday we received 10 chicks from MPC.

Four mille fleur D'Uccles bantams and 6 assorted standard sizes chicks.

When we put them in the brooder (day 1) they all were shown the water and food and we're doing just fine. They are on pine shavings covered with paper towels and I put sav-a-chick electrolytes in their water for the first few days post shipping.

On Thursday (day 2) morning I lifted up the the heat plate to change the paper towel and one of the bantams was laying on its side, not moving and breathing hard. One eye was closed. We separated her out and tried helping her drink and eat by ultimately she passed away a few hours later. At that time the rest of the chicks seemed fine. We called MPC and they suggested it's was likely a less hardy chick.

Today, Friday morning (day 3), I go in to check on the chicks and another bantam is very lethargic, not as bad as the chick yesterday morning, but noticably less active than the other chicks. Standing but wobbly, eyes mostly closed and breathing hard. I'm waiting for a call back from MPC for any advice but also wanted to ask here.

Here are my questions:

1. Generally what would people recommend? I've read on similar threads about treating with corid even though there's no other symptoms.

2. If we do treat with corid, should we treat the whole flock even though there are no other symptoms or just the one chick with a syringe?

3. Should we separate out the wobbly chick? Or will that be too stressful for her? Should we just separate out the bantams? We're worried about the other chicks bullying on her. We've noticed them running over and pecking at her face, they did this with the other weak chick on Thursday morning.

Other info: They have plenty of space now, 9 chicks in a stock tank with 2 red-light heat lamps, 1 brinsea heat plate. Temp under heat lamps says 95°. Feed is Kalmbach Medicates chick feed.
Too much heat.... use only one heat lamp and use on one side of the brooder; I have never met a chick that needed 95 degrees after day 3..... if the heat plate isn’t big enough, just use one lamp. Idk if this is the reason for your troubles, but that’s where I would start. If you decide to go the Corid route, then yes you would treat everyone bc if one has it chances are they all have it.

I had 2 chicks go that way this year. Everything I tried failed. In retrospect I believe they got cold, and could not recover, One got cold at the hatchery where I bought them, one got cold at my place and then pecked by others

Too much heat.... use only one heat lamp and use on one side of the brooder; I have never met a chick that needed 95 degrees after day 3..... if the heat plate isn’t big enough, just use one lamp. Idk if this is the reason for your troubles, but that’s where I would start. If you decide to go the Corid route, then yes you would treat everyone bc if one has it chances are they all have it.
The coldest part of the brooder says 84 - 87 right now and they're all choosing to be directly under the heat lamps or heat plate. It's a pretty big stock tank so I think they can move to a temperature that's comfortable. I'll try elevating the heat lamps a little more to take off some of the heat.

In regards to Corid, I guess I'm wondering if it's not coccidiosis at all, is there any harm in treating them all for it?

The coldest part of the brooder says 84 - 87 right now and they're all choosing to be directly under the heat lamps or heat plate. It's a pretty big stock tank so I think they can move to a temperature that's comfortable. I'll try elevating the heat lamps a little more to take off some of the heat.

In regards to Corid, I guess I'm wondering if it's not coccidiosis at all, is there any harm in treating them all for it?
@Aapomp831 nevermind, I just found in the my chicken health book that amprolium is safe to use as a preventative so I'll go ahead and provide it just in case.

No, Corid is a thiamine blocker and it’s almost impossible to OD on... I have treated my flocks before from just one bloody poop with no confirmation at all - it’s like worms (except this is a protozoan parasite) spread by wild birds and is literally EVERYWHERE, and if one has it there’s a 99% chance everyone does. Just not everyone develops symptoms.

@Aapomp831 nevermind, I just found in the my chicken health book that amprolium is safe to use as a preventative so I'll go ahead and provide it just in case.
Ok, great! Just make sure you offer it as their only source of drinking water (assuming you’re doing the powder way)? to ensure everyone is getting the medicine. Good luck to you! Just keep in mind - sometimes chicks die for no reason. It happens a lot, especially with shipped chicks. Don’t stress - I’m sure everyone will be fine.

Ok, great! Just make sure you offer it as their only source of drinking water (assuming you’re doing the powder way)? to ensure everyone is getting the medicine. Good luck to you! Just keep in mind - sometimes chicks die for no reason. It happens a lot, especially with shipped chicks. Don’t stress - I’m sure everyone will be fine.
Thank you!!

Totally. We got our first round of chicks a few months prior and have had such an ideal experience so far. This has already been a much more stressful go around.

Back
Top Bottom