1 chick discontent and LOUD

Another option if you can't go buy your feed is to purchase it online and have it shipped to you. This is what I did when I had to isolate due to being exposed to Covid. I'm glad you solved your problem. Yay! But be sure to get a good quality chick starter.

We recently incubated and hatched out 7 chicks, and that has brought me here today, as one is having troubles I can't yet figure out.
They are 3 days old now.
The brooder has a warm section where the temp goes between 98-100 F. There is water, feed, socializing and drop-naps in between moments of zipping around.
I chick began loudly chirping, in spurts. He will stand and doze to the point his head will touch the floor, then will startle awake and chirp loudly. He does drink and peck.
But this went on all through the night, every 5-7 minutes, and it woke me almost every time. I put a soft fluffy item in this morning, and the chick napped a few minutes to then take off and stsnd with the other 6 who were doing their thing (eating, napping, grooming tiny wingtip pin feathers.
He seemed to have a wee bit of pasty butt, which I removed with warm water, and does not have it this morning. We are very rural (lucky to be able to buy scratch and layer crumbs) and also under Covid lockdown. We are feeding a mix of crumbs, cornmeal and oatmeal ground in a blender and they are all eating it. Please font tell me I will have to make a sling and wear this chick to settle it lolol!!
They should be fed a complete Chick starter, and add probiotics or Sav-a-Chick if they haven't had that yet. Electrolytes in water may help. A rolled-up washrag may be a comforting spot for the chick to nap. Some people hang a feather duster in one area to make it like Mama - maybe he won't feel the need to follow the others around as much when he needs to nap. GL!

Back
Top Bottom