1 chick staying out of the coop/run at night

jenn-E

Chirping
9 Years
May 6, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
I have 14 chicks ages 12 - 15 weeks. They have been staying outside in their coop for over a month. They have an enclosed run that I close at night. For the past 2 nights, one of the chicks has not been in the coop when I go to close up after dark. In the morning she is parading around just outside the run. I tried to look for her last night, but we have a large yard with lots of places to hide & I couldn't find her in the dark. Any suggestions on what to do? Our neighbors lost their completely free-ranging chickens to coyotes, so I hate to leave her out at night. I also hate to confine her back to the run continuously for a period of time, since I think I might have to leave all of the chickens in the run if I do that (they tend to push past you when you open the gate). The run is 10 x 10, so it's a bit small for 14 chickens to be in full-time.

go out BEFORE dark and start guiding them to the coop. If you can get out there as they're in the process of retiring for the evening, you may be able to get the other one to go in with them. If it gets dark before one gets in, that one will usually try to find a "safe" place and wait it out. Chances are eventually something WILL find it, and it will be a predator's meal.

Thanks for the suggestion. My kids bedtime happens right around dusk. I was initially putting the chicks in their run before I put the kids to bed, but I spent a lot of time chasing them down, often needing my husband to help me corner the last couple. I found that if I waited & went out after I put the kids to bed, the chicks had already put themselves to bed. It was much easier & worked well for a few weeks. I will go back to trying to herd them into the run for a few days. Maybe if I use treats I can get them to come in more easily.

Back
Top Bottom