1 chicken dies every 2 weeks

darin367

Songster
9 Years
Dec 1, 2010
Shelton, Wa.
I am at a loss. a chicken dies about every other week for the last 3 months... I have treated with corid... treated with ivermectin pour on... treated with wazine.... i have owned chickens for 6 years and have never seen anything like this... they are mixed breeds, it's affecting all breeds... eyes look good so i don't suspect mareks......they don't have lice or mites.... no cough, no sneeze etc..no bloody poop..... birds seem fine, then i find a dead one in coop..... anyone ever experience this and what was the problem....

It doesn't sound like coccidiosis (corid) or worms (ivermectin/wazine). Those don't kill quickly.
Whenever one loses several birds from a similar cause, it's time for lab work. Send a bird to the state poultry lab for necropsy.
Treating for the unknown isn't treatment.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Are the birds dying the ones you've had for 6 years?
What are they fed?

Last edited:
none of my birds are 6 years old.. the oldest is 3... i replace 1/3 of flock per year... this spring i went a bit overboard and got 12 pullets from feed store... i've lost half of those and 2 or 3 of the older ladies... they are eating layer feed...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom