-1 day old caught a chill... What to do?

Echoes

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Utah
So yesterday one of my hens hatched her eggs, and left one unhatched. So I took it and popped it in the incubator. Later that night it hatched.

I decided to let it sleep with me under my blanket like I have done with MANY of my others. (I am a very light sleeper and have never had a problem with them sleeping with me). But this morning I found the little guy on the ground next too my bed. Not covered by anything, jsut by himself on the ground.

So I picked him up and put him back in the brooder at 95 degrees. I have no idea how long he was there for (assuming a few hours), but the temp right now in my house is 60-65 degrees, plus my window is open and there has been a tiny draft.

He isn't really chirping that much, only when I move him, even then its pretty dull. He also isn't very lively, he's just lying there (i assume he's trying to sleep).

My question now is: Will he be okay? What can I do to help him?

Last edited:
Alright, thank you.

Just curious: What will sugar water do? And how much sugar should be in the water. (example: 1 pinch per 5 ounces?)

I usually put 3 tablespoons in a pint of water. It will give him a added boost of energy. I can't promise it will fix the issue but it's about the only thing you can do now.

Ok, I will try it in alittle while.

I noticed in the 45 minutes since he's been in direct heat he has been doing better. Alittle more lively and chirping alittle more. Still pretty much just sleeping though.

Back
Top Bottom