1 day old chick-- is this normal???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momma_Cluck, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Ok-- never hatched one of our own...
    so we now have "Peanut"... a very tiny OE bantam / Mille Fluer D'Uccle cross..
    she/he is now 1 day old-- and so sweet---

BUT: Whenever she "has to go" she stretches up--flaps her wings and wiggles her behind ... then poo's!!!???

Is this normal?? I'd hate to think she's straining or having problems.

She also cries like the dickens whenever I leave the room--- a lone chick is a lonely lil thing-- any Ideas to keep her happy? (Other than being carried around I mean!) I don't have access to another chick!

Thanks All-- and a VERY Merry Christmas to All!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Well, since you can't get another baby, some people recommend a mirror and a stuffed animal. I actually used an old fuzzy slipper once when I had one hatch early and alone for quite awhile. She loved that. Someone else here said he uses a feather duster.

As for the poo dance......I have seen a LOT of mine do that and think it is toooooooooooooo cute!!!! [​IMG]

Congrats on your first hatchling. [​IMG]

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    some of my chicks have and still do that it seems that is just the way they go. I have 2 adult chickens that do it and so far i have noticed one of my chicks does it as well. I think it is very funny lol

4. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Well--- gotta admit...
    I really lost it laughing and "OMG How cute is this!!??" When she 1st did it-- then My daughter said "Mom! She's probably doing that cuz she has a problem going..."

BUT: She doesn't seem to have problems going-- and maybe just want's to be cute doing it!!?

Thanks for the Ideas on using the mirror/fuzzy critter! Will do!!!!!

[​IMG]

5. red star11

red star11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2008
    Medina, Ohio
    I use a stuffed animal for my chick to give him some company.[​IMG]

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    . . . or you could make a chick sling and carry her around like a baby.

Oh come on, people! Some of you out there are using chicken diapers! That's only a step away from complete babying . . . [​IMG]

7. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I"ve seen the poo dance as well!!!! Cute - well sort of.

I had a lone chick hatch and found someone that was selling mutt chicks for a dollar and bought two to keep her company. I did try the stuffed animal but it just wasn't the same. The mirror idea sound better though since it works on cockatiels.

8. chickens4ever

chickens4ever Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    New York
    My chickens do the poo dance and I think its really funny. ha ha ha
    I have two eggs in the bator and we havent got the other eggs that should be coming in the mail (its been a while and they where suppose to be here in two days). I'm worried that they wont come and that only one out of the two will hatch. Then it will be all alone and my chickens are knows for picking on the new chickens that we bring into the flock (when I say they pick on them I mean they pick on them badly like pulling feathers out and jumping on them) So eggs please come [​IMG]

9. chickens4ever

chickens4ever Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2008
    New York
    Haha ha speaking of chicken diapers... over the summer I made a pink one with little blue patched on it and I always put my rooster in it untill he grew up [​IMG] ha ha ha

10. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    Congratulations!!!! [​IMG]

The "poo dance" seems natural. I've seen many chicks doing it. So don't worry. Maybe the chick finds it easier to get the poo out when she flaps.

I would also go with giving it a mirror or a stuffed toy. Even try putting it next to the tv, another bird or by a fish tank. It might work.

Keep us posted on the progress. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by