1 day old chicks eyes are all crusty & won’t open! Help!

Skyleen13

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
I’ve got a hatching that was fine at birth. No problems. Eyes open. Now that she’s fluffed up her eyes seem to have gotten some of her fluff in them & now won’t open. What do I do?

Attachments

• DE56E1A9-01BE-4755-B134-4B190F3C70C8.jpeg
    DE56E1A9-01BE-4755-B134-4B190F3C70C8.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 39
If any of your pets like your chicks, puppies or even kittens eyes are crusty or their eyes wont open? Warm up some water1 cup or 2 and put in half of teaspoon of salt, mix it well. Then get a white clean rag and tap (dont rub their eyes) 2-3 times and keep wetting the rag or cloth and do this 3-4 times a day and 2-3 days or until it clears. It works well for humans!

If any of your pets like your chicks, puppies or even kittens eyes are crusty or their eyes wont open? Warm up some water1 cup or 2 and put in half of teaspoon of salt, mix it well. Then get a white clean rag and tap (dont rub their eyes) 2-3 times and keep wetting the rag or cloth and do this 3-4 times a day and 2-3 days or until it clears. It works well for humans!
None of my other animals have crusty eyes. None of the other 7 chicks that hatched with her & are with her in the brooder have eye problems. Only her. I’ve been using warm water on a Q-tip to gently wipe her eyes clear. It’s working a little bit. Will try the salt water. Thank you!

Update: My little chick is hanging in there. I’ve been treating it with the salt water trick & it seems to be working. Her eyes are able to open slightly now. She’s continuing to drink from a spoon that’s gotten got nutradrench & sugar in it. I’ve also gotten her to take some plain yogurt. She’s tried to eat her crumbles but can barely see to know where to peck at so struggles. I’ve ordered the eye medication used to treat kittens with sticky eye but it won’t come in until Wednesday next week. I’m hoping to keep her going & get this cleared up soon. She’s so sweet. Recognizes our voices now & cheeps like crazy until we pick her up. She’s going to be spoiled!

Back
Top Bottom