1 day olds, pecking/pulling feet issue

karabeth05

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
Hello, I am a proud new mama to 8 EE pullets (as of this morning) and so far they seem to be doing great, but we have one issue...one of them frequently (I almost want to say constantly now) goes around and pecks and pulls at the feet of the others. She will go from bird to bird and do it, and it makes them squeal. I currently have her sequestered (in Ad Seg, haha) until I figure out what to do. I read that pecking feet isn't abnormal and usually goes away after a few days old so maybe I'll try her back with the group again each day? She also looks bigger than the rest, but she's very fluffy so I'm not sure if she's actually larger or not and maybe a he? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• chickpic.jpg
    chickpic.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 43
Some young chicks are overly curious and pick on their flockmates because of it - at 1 day old they don't even know what food is, so feet sure look like something possibly edible. I'd give her 24 hrs, then try her back with the others.

Some young chicks are overly curious and pick on their flockmates because of it - at 1 day old they don't even know what food is, so feet sure look like something possibly edible. I'd give her 24 hrs, then try her back with the others.

She seems very bold and curious so I'm hoping that's all it is. I agree with her, I think their toes look very much like mealworms, haha! Thank you for the response, she was crying like crazy but we switched her to another clear bin so she can see the others and that has helped a lot. They're all sleeping peacefully now. :love

She’s back with the others and doing a lot better now! We tried her back with them for short periods and then moved her out when she got too pecky. Last night she was able to stay because she was only doing it occasionally and even looking at feet and then walking past them! haha She’s been doing well since. :love

Back
Top Bottom