1 dead and 1 lethargic with labored breaths

Tor14

Chirping
Sep 22, 2021
We lost a girl about 2 weeks ago. We had someone chicken sitting and we came back to a 6 mo pullet dead in the run, no signs of trauma. Comb was well colored and we didn’t notice anything before we left for 3 days.

Now my 1.5 year old roo has labored breathing, not eating, very tired and lethargic. We are battling mites so I thought it was a case of anemia but he is much worse today, very tired standing in one spot hunched opening Mouth slightly to breathe. He won’t swallow nutridrench for me.

Any advice for Ramone or more importantly the rest of my flock? No one has any signs besides half of my flock going through a hard molt. We have a mixed age flock of 15

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 67
We lost a girl about 2 weeks ago. We had someone chicken sitting and we came back to a 6 mo pullet dead in the run, no signs of trauma. Comb was well colored and we didn’t notice anything before we left for 3 days.

Now my 1.5 year old roo has labored breathing, not eating, very tired and lethargic. We are battling mites so I thought it was a case of anemia but he is much worse today, very tired standing in one spot hunched opening Mouth slightly to breathe. He won’t swallow nutridrench for me.

Any advice for Ramone or more importantly the rest of my flock? No one has any signs besides half of my flock going through a hard molt. We have a mixed age flock of 15
Forgot one detail. His poops are white streaked and liquid and very small amounts. He only makes noise when he is pooping, clucking a few times kind of like there is effort behind it.

Have you ever dewormed him?

If his poop is small and inconsistent, he has stopped eating.

If you have a syringe use that to suck up a raw egg yolk at room temperature. Grab his wattle pull it down and place the syringe tip in his beak. Squirt 1/2 cc then allow him to swallow it and repeat. He should let you know that he doesn't want anymore by him fight you a bit.

It's important not to over feed him while he's in his condition. He needs rest and away from the flock. Plus you can monitor actually symptoms or any new ones that might occur to report back to this post.

Have you ever dewormed him?

If his poop is small and inconsistent, he has stopped eating.

If you have a syringe use that to suck up a raw egg yolk at room temperature. Grab his wattle pull it down and place the syringe tip in his beak. Squirt 1/2 cc then allow him to swallow it and repeat. He should let you know that he doesn't want anymore by him fight you a bit.

It's important not to over feed him while he's in his condition. He needs rest and away from the flock. Plus you can monitor actually symptoms or any new ones that might occur to report back to this post.
We have not dewormed. He’s about the same today. Maybe a little bit more aware. He is having some amount of blood in the stool with some what look like blood clots that are a bit bigger. We are thinking maybe Coccidia? He makes noise when he poops like it hurts him. The panting as continued but it isn’t noising breathing, just little mouth gasps almost.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 10
We are battling mites
How are you treating the mites?

I'd treat for mites, Coccidiosis and Enteritis.

Permethrin dust can be found at TSC. Put the dust in a sock, then use it like a powder puff to lightly dust him all over, lift the feathers up work the dust through the feathers down to the skin.
Mites will suck the life out of a bird.

Corid is in the cattle section of TSC. Powder dose is 1 1/2tsp or Liquid Dose is 2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days. I'd get the Liquid if possible. Direct dose him with undiluted Corid Liquid at 0.10ml per pound of weight once daily for 3 days, this is in addition to having him drink or if needed with you syringing the mixed Corid water into him several times a day.

Antibiotics are needed for Enteritis, likely the quickest thing to get a hold of is Tylan50, but if you can get Amoxicillin or Baytril, then get those.
If you can only get Tylan50 dose him at 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Do look inside his beak for lesions or canker. See if his crop is emptying.

Get him hydrated with the Corid water, then see if he will eat some wet feed, egg, fish, chopped liver, etc. A little buttermilk mixed with his food can get some probiotics going.

Any chance he ate moldy feed?
You have respiratory illness in your flock, yes?

If vet care is an option for you, that would be the best action to take.
We are not vets here on BYC, we can only take guesses as to what may be ailing a bird and make suggestions as to what we might do as far as care or treatment.

Thank you for everyone’s response. We started corid and saw an improvement today, eating well for me this afternoon. I checked on him around 1 am and he is panting but sleeping on the Roost. He started passing some pretty large blood clots and wasn’t sure if that could still be coccidia or something else. I’m used to seeing small amounts of blood during our past coccidia not quite this much?

We have been using permethrin dust on the chickens. It’s been working well but realized I haven’t been addressing the roosts well enough. I plan to do a good cleaning tomorrow.

Rural vermont is limited on poultry vets unfortunately so the internet is all I got. I really appreciate the advice!
How are you treating the mites?

Permethrin dust can be found at TSC. Put the dust in a sock, then use it like a powder puff to lightly dust him all over, lift the feathers up work the dust through the feathers down to the skin.
Mites will suck the life out of a bird.

Corid is in the cattle section of TSC. Powder dose is 1 1/2tsp or Liquid Dose is 2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days. I'd get the Liquid if possible. Direct dose him with undiluted Corid Liquid at 0.10ml per pound of weight once daily for 3 days, this is in addition to having him drink or if needed with you syringing the mixed Corid water into him several times a day.

Antibiotics are needed for Enteritis, likely the quickest thing to get a hold of is Tylan50, but if you can get Amoxicillin or Baytril, then get those.
If you can only get Tylan50 dose him at 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Do look inside his beak for lesions or canker. See if his crop is emptying.

Get him hydrated with the Corid water, then see if he will eat some wet feed, egg, fish, chopped liver, etc. A little buttermilk mixed with his food can get some probiotics going.

Any chance he ate moldy feed?
You have respiratory illness in your flock, yes?

If vet care is an option for you, that would be the best action to take.
We are not vets here on BYC, we can only take guesses as to what may be ailing a bird and make suggestions as to what we might do as far as care or treatment.

Attachments

• 9A9F1138-53FD-4DB4-8085-786490AABFFD.jpeg
    9A9F1138-53FD-4DB4-8085-786490AABFFD.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 10
Thank you for everyone’s response. We started corid and saw an improvement today, eating well for me this afternoon. I checked on him around 1 am and he is panting but sleeping on the Roost. He started passing some pretty large blood clots and wasn’t sure if that could still be coccidia or something else. I’m used to seeing small amounts of blood during our past coccidia not quite this much?

We have been using permethrin dust on the chickens. It’s been working well but realized I haven’t been addressing the roosts well enough. I plan to do a good cleaning tomorrow.

Rural vermont is limited on poultry vets unfortunately so the internet is all I got. I really appreciate the advice!
That's quite a bit of blood.
I'd give him the Tylan to go along with the Corid, but also consider ordering Toltrazuril or a Sulfa Antibiotic to have on hand as well.

Back
Top Bottom