1 Hen, 2 Eggs, 1 Hour

A Hot Chick

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2021
My little golden comet never laid before today, but tonight in one hour she laid two soft-shell eggs. I know it’s normal for things to be a weird when they first start laying, but I’m little concerned because of the frequency and the soft eggs. Does anyone know if this is indicative of any kind of disease/genetic defect, or is she just finding her rhythm? My chickens have free choice egg shells, they’re on layer feed and have probiotics/electrolytes/apple cider vinegar in their water. They also are frequently fed parsley. The picture is just for fun :)

9B18B083-7CD7-486E-94EF-F281BB7F27FC.jpeg

My little golden comet never laid before today, but tonight in one hour she laid two soft-shell eggs. I know it’s normal for things to be a weird when they first start laying, but I’m little concerned because of the frequency and the soft eggs. Does anyone know if this is indicative of any kind of disease/genetic defect, or is she just finding her rhythm? My chickens have free choice egg shells, they’re on layer feed and have probiotics/electrolytes/apple cider vinegar in their water. They also are frequently fed parsley. The picture is just for fun :)

View attachment 2708933
It’s normal for new layers...are they on layer feed or all-flock? Both work fine, just make sure they are eating the calcium. It’s perfectly normal though..

She would benefit from a boost of calcium. You can purchase Calcium Citrate plus D3. The brand name is Citracal or you can purchase store brand. One tablet a day. I use it anytime one of my hens or pullets lay a soft shelled egg. I'd much rather give them a boost of calcium than risk an egg breaking inside her. Once she lays a normal egg, stop the Calcium Citrate. Continue to offer egg Shells or oyster Shells on the side. Don't give this extra calcium to the other birds, only the one having problems. Hopefully this is just her working things out with her new skill and it won't happen again, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

They’re on regular layer feed, I’m glad to hear it’s normal!
Definitely give her calcium though, you could try to feed her more calcium through bugs (mealworms), oyster shells, or crushed egg shells, make sure she is eating it or else it may cause worse problems...that can possibly kill her...anyways...more calcium is it. Although with some hens it’s just a matter of time (to really absorb the nutrients through the food)

My little golden comet never laid before today
So first time laying ever?
How old is she in weeks or months?

and have probiotics/electrolytes/apple cider vinegar in their water.
These are unnecessary.
ACV can screw up calcium uptake.
EL's should not be given full time....only once a week during heat waves and plain water should always be available.

She would benefit from a boost of calcium. You can purchase Calcium Citrate plus D3. The brand name is Citracal or you can purchase store brand. One tablet a day. I use it anytime one of my hens or pullets lay a soft shelled egg. I'd much rather give them a boost of calcium than risk an egg breaking inside her. Once she lays a normal egg, stop the Calcium Citrate. Continue to offer egg Shells or oyster Shells on the side. Don't give this extra calcium to the other birds, only the one having problems. Hopefully this is just her working things out with her new skill and it won't happen again, but I would rather be safe than sorry.
Awesome, thank you for the advice! I’ll pick some up today. Fingers crossed it all works out!

So first time laying ever?
How old is she in weeks or months?

These are unnecessary.
ACV can screw up calcium uptake.
EL's should not be given full time....only once a week during heat waves and plain water should always be available.
She’s about 19 weeks old- it’s her first time laying ever!

I do alternate the additives to the water- this week was 95+ so I gave them two waterers, one with plain and one with the mix. That’s good to know about ACV, I’ll try removing that entirely! Any good alternatives for it or are they just better without?

She’s about 19 weeks old- it’s her first time laying ever!
Likely just a new layer glitch.

I do alternate the additives to the water- this week was 95+ so I gave them two waterers, one with plain and one with the mix.
Are you using 'chick-saver' brand mixes?
I only use the EL/vit mix....there are probiotics in the Flock Raiser I feed.

That’s good to know about ACV, I’ll try removing that entirely! Any good alternatives for it or are they just better without?
Not convinced there is any benefit to ACV(Active Cider Vinegar), so no alternative needed.

Likely just a new layer glitch.

Are you using 'chick-saver' brand mixes?
I only use the EL/vit mix....there are probiotics in the Flock Raiser I feed.

Not convinced there is any benefit to ACV(Active Cider Vinegar), so no alternative needed.
ACV is APPLE Cider Vinegar in Scotland and I use it one week in four - i.e. they only get water with ACV for one week and then plain water for three weeks. I make up my own feeds from maize, oats, wheat, and barley. I am growing sunflowers and lupins (high protein supplements) and maize in my garden for feeding but I also boil up vegetables like potatoes, courgette, ( I think you call that zucchini in the US) turnips and the like then I add ground wheat, milk power, and crushed seashells which I gather from the beach. They all love that. They run out on a mixture of grass and clover. My wife says I feed them too well especially when I give them raspberries out of my hands when I'm picking them in the garden at this time of year! They are all mad for the raspberries! I've only got one just starting to lay a soft egg two days ago and a firmer one today but small and she's laid them from the roost into the poop hammock so I threw them in the trash. However I shortened the legs on my nesting boxes and she went in there after making lots of noise when I put the boxes back in the coop. After trying out each of the two boxes she settled down and sat in one for a while - she'd pulled a lot of the straw out and got very angry at me for putting it back in. The other birds I have 3 girls and 3 boys are only 10 weeks old - I've hatched them all in an incubator. The first one was only 1 of 12 eggs - it was an old badly designed incubator so I bought a new one and got 6 out of 12 next time.
Al from Bonny Scotland.
P.S. Sorry - I didn't mean for this to be a novel!

Back
Top Bottom