1 Hen in flock of 10 with 1 puffy eye..Any Ideas?

JorjaRhayne

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 28, 2012
I am new to chickens and I recently purchased 2 grown Colombian Rock hens. after being integrated into the flock for about 5 days I have noticed this morning 1 is showing slight puffiness in one eye. No discharge anywhere, none of the other birds have any symptoms of anything. This hen was particular harassed by my Matriarch and her sniveling sidekick during this integration time. they all have now settled. I have read Colombian rocks to be very docile and passive and she was just that. when they pestered her she would just lay there and take every bit. she has been very shy for the last day or so but I got the impression of just trying to stay out of the boss ladies way. Since none of my hens are de-beaked I am afraid she might have gotten a peck to the eye. I was curious if I could apply some Vetrycin to her eye. they make an ophthalmic spray/wash version and I use that daily on my horse due to his face is all pink and it helps keep he gunk out and sunburn area cleans. This stuff even kills MRSA. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. J

I am new to chickens and I recently purchased 2 grown Colombian Rock hens. after being integrated into the flock for about 5 days I have noticed this morning 1 is showing slight puffiness in one eye. No discharge anywhere, none of the other birds have any symptoms of anything. This hen was particular harassed by my Matriarch and her sniveling sidekick during this integration time. they all have now settled. I have read Colombian rocks to be very docile and passive and she was just that. when they pestered her she would just lay there and take every bit. she has been very shy for the last day or so but I got the impression of just trying to stay out of the boss ladies way. Since none of my hens are de-beaked I am afraid she might have gotten a peck to the eye. I was curious if I could apply some Vetrycin to her eye. they make an ophthalmic spray/wash version and I use that daily on my horse due to his face is all pink and it helps keep he gunk out and sunburn area cleans. This stuff even kills MRSA. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. J
There's the possibility the Columbian Rock was pecked on or around the eye and swelling ensued. You'll have to wait and see if it goes down, or swells up more which may require lancing... kinda like water on the knee. I've had that happen with one of my hens when she was pecked hard just above the top left corner of her left eye.
There's also the possibility you're starting to see the onset of a respiratory disease. Newly acquired birds should at least be quarantined 4-6 weeks as far away from your flock as possible as not to introduce diseases or parasites to your healthy birds. Quarantining new birds gives you the opportunity to inspect your new birds for external parasites as well as treat for internal parasites. Most respiratory diseases will show themselves in the quarantine period, giving you time to treat, or I recommend cull. You dont want respiratory diseases transmitted to your healthy flock. Most respiratory diseases can be carried on clothing, hands and shoes, some can be transmitted airborne. Once birds become infected by a respiratory disease, survivors become carriers and will infect newcomers. You would have to maintain a closed flock. No selling or giving away birds nor eggs neither. Remember biosecurity.

I have a young chick who had a swelled up eye, watery looking in the corner of the eye, like Pink Eye. I thought she might have been pecked in the eye too. It turns out she had something called Eye Worm (I think). Anyway, I used Vet RX to treat her, and after treating once a day for several days, her eye is back to normal.

Make sure you ask someone who really knows, don't just rely on forum posts. Take a picture of it, and bring it to someone who knows about such things, or post a picture of it on this forum and see what repsonses you get. Everyone is really helpful and well meaning, but without actually seeing her, it is hard to say what is is for sure.

I had lots of people tell me my chick had Mycoplasmosis, and that was not what it was at all.

Vet RX was like a miracle to my chick. $7.99 at Tractor Supply, but you can probably find it at a local feed store.

I have a young chick who had a swelled up eye, watery looking in the corner of the eye, like Pink Eye. I thought she might have been pecked in the eye too. It turns out she had something called Eye Worm (I think). Anyway, I used Vet RX to treat her, and after treating once a day for several days, her eye is back to normal.

Make sure you ask someone who really knows, don't just rely on forum posts. Take a picture of it, and bring it to someone who knows about such things, or post a picture of it on this forum and see what repsonses you get. Everyone is really helpful and well meaning, but without actually seeing her, it is hard to say what is is for sure.

I had lots of people tell me my chick had Mycoplasmosis, and that was not what it was at all.

Vet RX was like a miracle to my chick. $7.99 at Tractor Supply, but you can probably find it at a local feed store.
"You think" your chick had eyeworm. What did the chick eat to contract eyeworm and did she scratch her eye alot? Did you see the eyeworm in her eye?

Last edited:
No, I never did see the worm, that's why I said "I think". She was just out in the coop with the other hens, eating medicated chick starter, but that doesn't mean something didn't get in there, and she ate it. And yes, she was scratching her eye, a lot.

No, I never did see the worm, that's why I said "I think". She was just out in the coop with the other hens, eating medicated chick starter, but that doesn't mean something didn't get in there, and she ate it. And yes, she was scratching her eye, a lot.
Most likely it was debris of some sort, pecked or scratched in some manner as to irritate her eye. Eyeworm cannot be easily dispatched and requires a wormer to eliminate them as they originate internally once picked up off the ground or from eating infected insects.

Last edited:
Well so far "Jessie" has been improving. Still no signs of any discharges anywhere on any birds so I am believing it to have been just a hard peck to the face. Everyone did seem a little skinny, but after a weekend of very careful watch I can confirm loss of weight to be the result of a HOG of a Guinea. So ultimately Frick had to go. 30+ separate bowls of food spread around the yard and my girls were getting zilch. Only Beethoven the Roo could stand up to Frick and be able to eat. Since he has been re-homed (new owners well aware of hens puffy eye) peace has commenced around here, zero fighting amongst the girls and everyone has a full belly. "Jessie" still acts a bit standoffish but is socializing more. She does have a kind of quirk. She just naps anywhere and everywhere. If she was human I would describe it as narcolepsy. Earlier she was in the middle of everyone eating, standing in one spot and dozed off for about 2 min then she is up eating and cackling with the rest of them. Any ideas?

@ Dawg53, My hens were purchased at an auction and some from a constantly changing flock. Roo and 2 hens bought first (Sat) from auction, 5 hens and 2 guineas bought following Weds. everyone integrated together right away. after 2 days (Fri) 1 guinea flew the coop and is residing at my neighbors, Her Roo crows before mine in the am and I think he got confused on where home was. after free-ranging attempts I sold 1 of the first hens at auction the next day and bought the 2 Colombians. Immediately integrated them into the coop. Week later (this past Sat.) I sold the oldest of the 5 hen group and the guinea at auction. buying 1 beautiful hen as Blanche's replacement. She is now separated from the group. I would have done this with the others but due to being very new to chickens, no one from the auction or the farm I bought the five from suggested any type of quarantine, even the Clemson University Vet guy who draws blood and tags all birds that come through the auction every week checking for disease. the original 3 I got from auction came from 1 farm that sells regularly at auction and has not had any neg test results on his birds. The most recent hen also came from here. The farm I got the five from gave me a written $$ back guarantee on the health of the birds. I do not know anything about the farm the Colombians came from but the other people that got birds from there at auction have no signs of sickness either. So I am not overly concerned that Jessie's eye is more than a peck but if it is the auction house would be notified by Clemson University to be aware of sickness at that seller's farm.

@ Dawg53, My hens were purchased at an auction and some from a constantly changing flock. Roo and 2 hens bought first (Sat) from auction, 5 hens and 2 guineas bought following Weds. everyone integrated together right away. after 2 days (Fri) 1 guinea flew the coop and is residing at my neighbors, Her Roo crows before mine in the am and I think he got confused on where home was. after free-ranging attempts I sold 1 of the first hens at auction the next day and bought the 2 Colombians. Immediately integrated them into the coop. Week later (this past Sat.) I sold the oldest of the 5 hen group and the guinea at auction. buying 1 beautiful hen as Blanche's replacement. She is now separated from the group. I would have done this with the others but due to being very new to chickens, no one from the auction or the farm I bought the five from suggested any type of quarantine, even the Clemson University Vet guy who draws blood and tags all birds that come through the auction every week checking for disease. the original 3 I got from auction came from 1 farm that sells regularly at auction and has not had any neg test results on his birds. The most recent hen also came from here. The farm I got the five from gave me a written $$ back guarantee on the health of the birds. I do not know anything about the farm the Colombians came from but the other people that got birds from there at auction have no signs of sickness either. So I am not overly concerned that Jessie's eye is more than a peck but if it is the auction house would be notified by Clemson University to be aware of sickness at that seller's farm.
As I mentioned in post #2, your bird was probably pecked. I try to cover all possibilities when responding to posts. I find it interesting that you take the word from people at auctions, a vet from Clemson ....do you know what diseases he tests for? There are many many diseases that chickens can get...just continue reading in this section and you'll read horror stories about poultry shows, swaps, auctions, farmer down the road etc etc etc .....Mixing birds from different places is a recipe for disaster. I highly recommend you practice quarantine and biosecurity. Here's a link to respiratory diseases in chickens...just to show you what you could possibly up against without quarantine/biosecurity.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
I have the new hen separated for this practice because my flock is important to me, I was just giving you a backstory. I am a bit astonished that not one person suggested quarantine to me, even when I was asking general hum drum questions being new to chickens. I have only heard to quarantine since immersing myself in BYC. It makes since tho, we do the same with horses and dogs ect. And similar precautions when handling humans (EMT). The vet tests for multiple diseases but I didn't get all the names but I do know one is Avian influenza. I appreciate your help very much and look forward to more immersion on BYC, Will be getting pics soon and hope to be able to identify some breed typing in a few of my Heinz 57 girls. Thks again J

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom