1 month old chick HATES diaper!!!

Jblandrew

Hatching
Nov 10, 2020
I have a 1 month old chicken and I just started buying diapers for her. I’ve put it on her all day and at night before bed I take it off so she doesn’t have to sleep in it. The only issue is, SHE HATES IT. I’ve read online that most chickens get over it in 20 minutes to an hour, but she is CONSTANTLY running backwards, hopping, falling off the couch... she is miserable and I hate seeing her that way... she’s normally a happy chick that runs this roost... I’ve also given her treats and toys to take her mind off it, but nothing works... please help! 🐓🐥😫😫

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 87
I'm assuming the diaper because she's a house chicken. My house chicken took a while to get used to his diaper. He's still not jazzed about wearing it.

Try introducing her to the diaper in small increments. Like 20 minutes here today. 20 minutes tomorrow... 40 minutes the next day, if she's looking more comfortable.

And double check the fit. Make sure it's adjusted properly since she is growing.

I'm assuming the diaper because she's a house chicken. My house chicken took a while to get used to his diaper. He's still not jazzed about wearing it.

Try introducing her to the diaper in small increments. Like 20 minutes here today. 20 minutes tomorrow... 40 minutes the next day, if she's looking more comfortable.

And double check the fit. Make sure it's adjusted properly since she is growing.
It’s adjustable and I’ve made the diaper it’s self quite smaller just in case it was irritating her but that doesn’t seem to help... I’ll try in smaller timeframes... but since I’ve started putting it on her, she just sits like a lump and sleeps CONSTANTLY when she wears it.. I don’t make her wear it all the time. I take it off her when she goes outside or in her coop for the night. I feel like I should have started her on it when she was younger? I don’t know...

I think smaller timeframes is the way to go. If she's not more comfortable with it in a month or whenever, she may not ever be. Just keep an eye on her when she fights it - just to make sure she doesn't tangle herself in it.

Probably cuz chickens aren’t meant to wear diapers, nor live inside 😬
I think smaller timeframes is the way to go. If she's not more comfortable with it in a month or whenever, she may not ever be. Just keep an eye on her when she fights it - just to make sure she doesn't tangle herself in it.
Ok, thank you for your help. I know chickens aren’t meant to be indoor pets and rent meant to be diapered... but she helps with my anxiety and she fallows me around like I’m her momma. A friend of mine works at a butchery farm and was gonna take her home to feed her to his snake and I took her from him. I fell in love with her instantly and I now spoil her more than the cats. Lol

Back
Top Bottom