1 month old chicken crowing

MintyEgger

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
So this is again about the white leghorn chick I have been raising. I am almost certain now that they are unfortunately a rooster. I've been hearing some weak crows from them for the past week. But I read that it's rare for a month old cockerel to start crowing so early. I have also read that leghorn hens will crow too. I don't know much about leghorns, so can anyone confirm or deny these tidbits? Thanks. Really grasping at straws here because I want to keep them. 😓 😞

Not sure about leghorns but I have had several Old English Game Bantam cockerels begin trying to crow at 4 - 5 weeks of age. In fact my latest one also began crowing at 4 weeks and trying to tread hens at 10 weeks. And he still is doing both quite prolifically I might add...

I've had a couple roos start "crowing" at about a month or so. It's usually a disgusting raspy rubber-chicken kind of crow, but is definitely a crow. The one I have in the yard, I'd even swear it was a pullet by looks alone, but nope, it crows in the morning.

There also is the rare event where a hen will start crowing. I haven't experienced this in my flock yet, but I know it can happen.

Feel free to post a picture of the chicken in question and we might be able to confirm or deny this roo claim.

Back
Top Bottom