1 month silkie and 2-3 week chicks?

hippiechickadee

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 22, 2014
Upstate NY
I finally hunted down a silkie (always wanted one!)

It's a 1 month old female and I'm picking her up Wednesday. Will she be ok mixing with my 2 and 3 week old chicks? (Brahma bantams, red stars, etc.)

Any tips? Suggestions?

It would depend on the size of them. If the Silkie is about the same size as the chicks you have currently, (which I would think not, as I have chicks that are only 1 week apart and very different in size.) it shouldn't be a problem mingling them. You don't want the Silkie, if larger, to pick on/bully the younger chicks. Another thought of mine though, would be to keep her separate to ensure she isn't carrying anything that could infect your younger chicks. (Even something like bacteria, non necessarily a virus or disease.)

Hope that helps a bit!
Audra

It would depend on the size of them. If the Silkie is about the same size as the chicks you have currently, (which I would think not, as I have chicks that are only 1 week apart and very different in size.) it shouldn't be a problem mingling them. You don't want the Silkie, if larger, to pick on/bully the younger chicks. Another thought of mine though, would be to keep her separate to ensure she isn't carrying anything that could infect your younger chicks. (Even something like bacteria, non necessarily a virus or disease.) 

Hope that helps a bit!
Audra

Thanks so much! Do you think the silkie will be ok alone (waiting for the chicks to catch up) or should I look into two?

If I may, my silkies were 3 months old and I had them in with 1 month, and 2 week old chicks and no issues at all in fact the RIR babies bonded nicely with my silkies which is a great thing as some of the older hens still give them a hard time, so it's nice they have a little flock of their own. :)

Wonderful to hear (read)! My chicks are in a brooder box, can silkie go in with them or should she start somewhere else and just mingle during the day?

Thanks so much! Do you think the silkie will be ok alone (waiting for the chicks to catch up) or should I look into two?
You're welcome! That's up to you! You could put some chicken wire in the brooder to separate them, so they'll still be able to see one another, rather than just "talk". But if you do want to quarantine the Silkie, I'd probably get two. If you were to quarantine the Silkie by herself, she'll probably get lonely not being able to see and or "talk" to the others. Animals generally like being with another of the same species. (Learned that the hard way when I only bought one llama instead of two! hah)

You're welcome! That's up to you! You could put some chicken wire in the brooder to separate them, so they'll still be able to see one another, rather than just "talk". But if you do want to quarantine the Silkie, I'd probably get two. If you were to quarantine the Silkie by herself, she'll probably get lonely not being able to see and or "talk" to the others. Animals generally like being with another of the same species. (Learned that the hard way when I only bought one llama instead of two! hah) 

Thanks again! How long do I quarantine? How will I know when is right?

Back
Top Bottom