1 month till I get my first chicks. Am I ready?

Living_Legend

Songster
Jan 3, 2018
Freeland, MD
My Coop
My Coop
20180308_113101.jpg
20180308_113109.jpg
20180308_113119.jpg
20180308_113146.jpg

I like the baseball bat; to fight them off?
Have the feeder and waterer closer to the chicks at first, and move it further away in a few days or a week.
You will need a cover for your pen VERY soon, or chicks will be jumping out. Hardware cloth works well. If you have dogs or cats, plan on a good cover right away.
Feed; look at the mill date on each bag of feed you buy, and have it within a month, and to be used up within six or eight weeks. Some vitamins degrade in a short time, and it matters.
Return that feed, and buy new (mill date new!) when the chicks are due to arrive.
For nine chicks, maybe a smaller bag would be better.
Have fun!
Mary

If your room is normally pretty dark, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have it on during the day and have it go off about 1 hour before sunset so the room goes dark naturally. This way they will know when to get under the heat plate for the night. I did this when I brooded in my garage, even with windows it was kinda dark, now I brood in the coop.

We though it was so fun having them in our office. In the end we couldn't wait to get them out in the coup. You are going to need a bigger box. In the end we kept adding box extensions. There was the kitchen, a play room, a sleeping room with little perches. Cleaning the thing was a two man job. If I ever raised my own again...which I probably will.....it's adapt a portion of the coup....safely....and wait till later in the spring when it is a tad warmer outside.

Echo the cover. Those little buggers can jump. You will walk in one day and one will be perched on the top of the box looking at you.

Back
Top Bottom