1 Nest Box???? Newbie coop builder

ChiknMama

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
We are putting together our coop today. We have 3 hens and were wondering if 1 nest box is enough or do we need a minimum of 2? We have 2 larger breeds, a buff orpington and a black australorp along with an EE. So also wondering what size we should make the nesting box or boxes. Thanks.

If they are built-ins and you have the room, you might as well build at least four, cause you know you're gonna wind up with more chickens than you planned:D they will probably only wind up using just one box though.

Guess I should have said it would be external nesting box(es) not inside. We are saving as much inside space for the girls as possible since we have fairly long winters here and they will be in the coop with and indoor run for a good while when it snows etc.

I was told one box for 3 hens. I built two for 6 hens. One got killed and one ended up being a rooster. So now I have two boxes for 4 hens. I think it'll be just fine. If you (they) have the space I would build a one or two more.

If you can, I suggest two. They will probably all use the same one almost all the time, but two gives you some flexibility in how you manage them. The obvious need for an extra one is if one goes broody and won't let the other two lay with her, but I find a little more flexibility is usually a good thing. If two is a problem, one will work.

For your breeds, I think 12" x 12" is a good minimum size. A little bigger won't hurt but is really not necessary. I made mine 16" x 16" with the thought that two might want to lay at the same time. Usually they don't but I have seen three in there at one time.

As far as height, it depends some on how you frame it. I like a 5" to 6" lip across the bottom to keep them from scatching out the bedding and eggs, then leave a 6" to 8" opening above that for the door. 6" does not look like much but I have used that successfully for the opening height.

Thanks to all of you for the advice...we went with one,off the floor. If need be we can add another later. Will be posting pics of the coop at a later date....we got alot done today and it is time to relax
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom