1 of 4 chicks (oldest 2wk old) has coccidia; treat all 4 or not?

Cinnaminute

Songster
Aug 19, 2022
Georgia, USA
To further explain, I just got 4 new chicks on Friday the 9th:

2 Polish - Days old
2 Speckled Sussex - Estimated 1 wk old when I got them but possibly older

The Polish were reserved so the local feed and seed store had just gotten them in. The Sussex was a bit of an impulse purchase. I saw they had some and wanted them. I didn't know how old they were until they were grabbing them out. I estimated they might've been a week old based on their size. Since they were kept in a bin with older and younger chicks, I figured I could keep all 4 together anyway and it's worked out just fine.

Yesterday (the 12th) I gave them all some sand from outside by my chicken runs. I'm waiting on my chick grit to arrive so I figured some sand would help since I caught them eating some pine shavings... I switched them to paper towels for now. But I also like to get the introduction to the dirt done asap anyway so

This morning I wake up to a bloody mess:

photo_2023-06-13_19-05-58.jpg photo_2023-06-13_19-05-56.jpg

I've never dealt with coccidia before but pretty sure this is it. I isolated the two older ones from the younger ones. I figured it had to be the older ones having the bloody stools, since I read somewhere that the first couple weeks they have a level of protection and exposing them as early as possible is a good thing. Plus I know it's warm and rainy here, but I had no trouble introducing my Easter Egger chicks last June to our soil. I'm kicking myself in the butt for not exposing these Sussex the day I got them. Been dealing with a serious health issue with one of my ferrets so I've been a tad mentally absent.

Anyway, I can confirm that 1 Speckled Sussex (Truffles) is having the bloody stools. I started her on Corid immediately this morning (1/3tsp per 32oz or 1/4 gallon). Right now both Speckleds are drinking this. The Polish are not. Of course, I find out that my Corid expired December 2022 but it's unopened so I'm hoping it's still good. I'm willing to get fresh if I find this isn't good.

Should I treat the Polish as well? Should I continue treating the Speckled Sussex with no symptoms? What should I be on the lookout for as far as recovering goes e.g. how soon does the blood stop and so on?

Thank you!

More poop pictures:
photo_2023-06-13_19-05-32.jpg photo_2023-06-13_19-05-40.jpg photo_2023-06-13_19-05-43.jpg photo_2023-06-13_19-05-48.jpg photo_2023-06-13_19-05-51.jpg

Last edited:
First I would mix the Corid at 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water. Or 1/2 tsp per quart. If you use the powder, mix 1.5 tsp per gallon, or 3/4 tsp per quart. Treat all birds for 5-7 days. Are they all acting okay, eating and drinking?

@Eggcessive Sorry, fixed a typo. I'm giving 1/3tsp almost 1/2tsp per quart figuring the whole "4 quarts a gallon" thing. Using powdered Corid. I remember reading in the thread on here that dosing more is safe anyway so I figured I was dosing a tad over the "serious outbreak" amount. Thank you so much for the correction!!

I wasn't sure since the Polish chicks are so young unlike the Sussex chicks. I'll begin treating them as well.

Thankfully I haven't noticed any changes in behavior so far. The one who is having the bloody stools has been just as active as ever: flying up onto the food/water dishes and perch, running around, bopping my hand when I reach in, scratching food out of the dishes, etc. Same with the other Sussex. Everyone is eating, drinking, walking about, warming up under the brooder plate, etc. as always. The two Polish have always been pretty sleepy, coming out to eat and drink then fuss a bit before going back under the brooder plate to get warm and sleep, but they're very young, wing feathers are still sheathed.

Truffles' bloody stools continued throughout the night. She's also become lethargic; just stood there in a corner with half open eyes while I cleaned out their brooder. The other 3 are still active and eating but I think the other Speckled is having bloody stools now too. She stretched her wings and I looked away, when I looked back I saw a bloody stool where she was standing.

I'll start dripping fluid onto Truffles beak to make sure she keeps hydrated. She's not interested in food or water. Offered some raw egg as well but she just wiped it off onto me.

eating.jpg

Update: I've been searching all morning for a place I can get some fresh Corid from today. I'm worried the expired stuff isn't effective. The contents of the bag, although unopened, had begun to get a bit crumbly. Couldn't find any place selling it. I decided to look around again at TSC in hopes of seeing if they could get something delivered to the store today. Seems they stocked 5 liquid Corid bottles so I ordered one for same day delivery. I don't want to risk them selling out before I get up there. Here's hoping this fresh Corid does the trick.

Last edited:
I've been giving Truffles a few drops of water onto her beak every half hour to make sure she stays hydrated. After not eating all day, she finally came out and ate with everyone! And she ate a lot, too.🥹

Maybe the expired Corid is actually still good. It is a little over 24hrs since I started treatment. Regardless, my liquid arrived so I changed out the water. Gave 1/2tsp of liquid Corid in the 1 quart waterer to make sure they have the freshest I can offer. I've been seeing lots of poop with blood, definitely from the other Speckled and the Buff Polish. I don't think my tiny little Polish is pooping blood (yet). Here's hoping everyone pulls through this.

I'm so relieved Truffles ate finally. She also did drink once on her own so maybe she's drinking when I'm not looking.

eating finally.jpg

Back
Top Bottom