1 or 2 Ducks with chickens?

Echo5

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
So I was originally thinking of getting 2 Pekin ducks for pets with some Banties and Long Horns all as chicks/ducklings all together. But now not sure If I should get just one duck to be more attached and more trusting and affectionate. It would have chickens for company, and would be a female. Need help on choosing what would be best for the duck and pet/owner relationship, 1 or 2. And females lay eggs regular without a male around right?I've herd different things... And does it make a difference in being louder with or without other ducks around?? I'd love your opinions!
Thanks! ~Newbie!

If your looking for a closer human pet relationship get one. However, I prefer keeping two so they always have someone with them. Females will lay at a normal pace without having a male. Also I personally haven't noticed a noise difference between a single duck vs a pair.

Good question. I'm curious for the response as well. I'm hoping to keep 2 of my ducks. (Maybe more if I can get my husband on board.)

Yea, my dads up to getting them, just have to persuade my mom in letting me get them! They look like so much fun, my friend had some, they're really entertaining!

If your looking for a closer human pet relationship get one. However, I prefer keeping two so they always have someone with them. Females will lay at a normal pace without having a male. Also I personally haven't noticed a noise difference between a single duck vs a pair.

Thanks for the advise, I do really want a good Human pet relationship but would like to know it has a buddy with them. I wonder if it would hang around with the chickens fine. I don't want separation anxiety for it either... And I didn't think the amount of noise would be different but I guess Ill see if anyone has had the experience in noticing.

I would get 2. You would need to be available all the time in order to keep the duck company and for most people, that is not realistic. A duck could bond with chickens but I think that one of the most entertaining thing about ducks is their ducky behavior. I have read of others who raised a single duck with chickens and the duck seemed to not diplay duck behavior (scared of water).

Again, I would get 2. You stated that your parents have to okay this so I assume that you are younger and things change in life when you are young. Ducks can live for a long time so making sure that they have companions is important.
smile.png

I would get 2. You would need to be available all the time in order to keep the duck company and for most people, that is not realistic. A duck could bond with chickens but I think that one of the most entertaining thing about ducks is their ducky behavior. I have read of others who raised a single duck with chickens and the duck seemed to not diplay duck behavior (scared of water).

Again, I would get 2. You stated that your parents have to okay this so I assume that you are younger and things change in life when you are young. Ducks can live for a long time so making sure that they have companions is important.
smile.png

Yea I have thought about the future, will be going to college next year, plus I have a horse and work, so Dont have all the time in the world. My dad used to have chickens so he's familiar with them. From the things i've heard Im thinking more of getting two, thinking it won't be too differacult to bond with two. Thanks for your opinoin! I defenetly want duck behavior! I guess its similar to sticking one horse with a bunch of cows lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom