1 polish & 1 silkie in mixed flock

Epognant

In the Brooder
May 31, 2021
I’m starting a new 15 girl flock with 10 different, (hopefully) docile breeds ( including Cochin, Brahma, BR, EE, Australorp, Orpingtons) all as Day old chicks. My hope is they will all be different enough to not see the Silkie and Polish as too different. If I have 1 polish and 2 Silkies, will they stick together and be each other odd ball pals?

I’ve read always have 2 polish but I’m hoping 1) I’m raising them as chicks, 2) everyone looks different, 3) the silkies and polish will stick together.

Anyone have 1 polish with silkie friends in a mixed flock and keep the peace?
Thanks!

I have two polish in a mixed flock including silkies. 1 polish is docile. The other is a mean girl! Nobody messes with her!

Mine are all bantams if that makes a difference. All the same size.

I don't have one polish, but I do have one silkie. She gets bullied pretty bad, so we just bought 3 more silkies (in hopes two will be female) for her to have buddies.

Before, Mochi, (the current silkie) had a friend named Boba (black silkie) but unfortunately Boba got attacked. Mochi was much happier with a friend so we are hoping she will enjoy having more silkie friends.

She is currently in a mixed flock with breeds from Brahmas, Wyandottes, Speckled Sussex's, Australorps, etc.

Anyway, good luck!

I find it interesting that even in the chicken world there is racism

Oh, also, how big is your coop? Can you give the dimensions of both the coop and run?

It helps to have extra space with ones your worried might be bullied.
Our coop is 5x10 and the run is 10x20. We will have 15 total. I agree, Which is why I’m so hesitant to add another polish as a friend. I want as much space as possible. We are also going to let them free range some when possible.

I have two polish in a mixed flock including silkies. 1 polish is docile. The other is a mean girl! Nobody messes with her!

Mine are all bantams if that makes a difference. All the same size.
It seems like there so much variability in these polish gals. I’m getting 1 standard polish. I hope she will be able to hold her own. I will
Have many other single breeds ( without a twin friend) so I’m hoping everyone will be different and get along.

It seems like there so much variability in these polish gals. I’m getting 1 standard polish. I hope she will be able to hold her own. I will
Have many other single breeds ( without a twin friend) so I’m hoping everyone will be different and get along.
Polish are funny odd little characters. You'll love them!

Our coop is 5x10 and the run is 10x20. We will have 15 total. I agree, Which is why I’m so hesitant to add another polish as a friend. I want as much space as possible. We are also going to let them free range some when possible.
Your run is big enough, though your coop is on the smaller side, the more chickens you have the less space per chicken you need, so I think 15 in that space would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom