1 Rooster, 9 Hens...Backs Bare

Shanda4173

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2018
I have 1 rooster & 9 hens, however, all my hens have bare backs? I thought 9 would be plenty to keep him from de-feathering my girls, but obviously not. Is there anything I can do other than kick him out? They have plenty of room to get away from him during the day & we let them out to free range in the afternoons. I'm just at my wits end because he's actually making them bleed. Are all roosters this bad?

Not all roosters are that randy. It is more common when cockerels are young.
You have a few choices. Separate him for several days at a time and combine them for conjugal visits.
Hen saddles.
Or get rid of him.
The feathers won't grow back till after molt.
I'm curious what breed he is.

Last edited:
Hi Shanda, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

Do you have a rooster and nine hens or do you have an immature cockerel and nine immature pullets? Their maturity level can make a big difference. Most flocks that consist of mature roosters and hens are pretty peaceful but flocks of immature cockerels and immature pullets can have a lot of drama. Mature flocks can have this kind of problem too but it is a lot more rare.

Something else to consider is that some hens have brittle feathers. No matter how gentle the male is feathers are going to break. If it is anywhere close to nine out of nine though I don't think this is your problem. It's probably the male. If the females are resisting they are not helping but I'd still blame the male.

If he is an immature cockerel and they are immature pullets they may grow out of it, but if he is making them bleed it is dangerous now. You need to do something. If they are immature, lock him up by himself for a coupe of months. Then turn him loose and see how it goes. You may have to lock him up some more if it doesn't work out. If he is a mature rooster, either get rid of him or lock him up until he dies of old age.

On a certain level this isn't that unusual for an immature flock, but if he is making them bleed that is beyond acceptable limits.

As an aside, don't believe in that magic ratio for hens and roosters. As you can see they don't work.

Not all roosters are that randy. It is more common when cockerels are young.
You have a few choices. Separate him for several days at a time and combine them for conjugal visits.
Hen saddles.
Or get rid of him.
The feathers won't grow back till after molt.
I'm curious what breed he is.

An Americauna (easter egger). 5 years old. see attached picture. He's a really big rooster & beautiful coloring. And even though he can be testy at times, he's a pretty laid back rooster as you can see...he's hanging out on my husband's shoulders. lol 20180808_164150.jpg

Hi Shanda, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

Do you have a rooster and nine hens or do you have an immature cockerel and nine immature pullets? Their maturity level can make a big difference. Most flocks that consist of mature roosters and hens are pretty peaceful but flocks of immature cockerels and immature pullets can have a lot of drama. Mature flocks can have this kind of problem too but it is a lot more rare.

Something else to consider is that some hens have brittle feathers. No matter how gentle the male is feathers are going to break. If it is anywhere close to nine out of nine though I don't think this is your problem. It's probably the male. If the females are resisting they are not helping but I'd still blame the male.

If he is an immature cockerel and they are immature pullets they may grow out of it, but if he is making them bleed it is dangerous now. You need to do something. If they are immature, lock him up by himself for a coupe of months. Then turn him loose and see how it goes. You may have to lock him up some more if it doesn't work out. If he is a mature rooster, either get rid of him or lock him up until he dies of old age.

On a certain level this isn't that unusual for an immature flock, but if he is making them bleed that is beyond acceptable limits.

As an aside, don't believe in that magic ratio for hens and roosters. As you can see they don't work.

He's 5 years old. I attached a picture to the other response I received. Even though he can be territorial at times we're fond of him & would hate to get rid of him. I've thought about adding more hens to our flock but he does have his favorites & I'm afraid it still wouldn't do them much good. We may just have to set aside another place for him to give the hens time to heal. I just hate removing him because he's such a good protector. Also, I'm afraid when we put him back in with the hens that he'll be even rougher with them?

An Americauna (easter egger). 5 years old. see attached picture. He's a really big rooster & beautiful coloring. And even though he can be testy at times, he's a pretty laid back rooster as you can see...he's hanging out on my husband's shoulders. lolView attachment 1497387
I've never heard of hen saddles. I may have to look into that but would hate to put anything on them that would make them even more uncomfortable. lol Just hate the idea of separating them because they're such a good flock & he keeps them all protected when they're out and about together. I may just have to separate them during the day?

I would give him a bachelor pad.

Just a word of caution: allowing a roo to be so close to his human care givers is ok, until it is not. Allowing him to be in close contact, especially on a shoulder puts him in very close proximity to the face, and those shiny eyes and teeth, and bright red lips. Having a high vantage point gives him a position of dominance. That is a position a roo should never be allowed to have. It's not at all uncommon for a roo who has always been a good boy to go rogue.

I just experienced that myself with my 16 mo. old Buck Eye roo. He's always been a good boy, not human aggressive. I had put him in a bachelor pad, and gave him 2 hens for company. Interestingly, he was more gentle breeding those 2 than he was when he had the flock of 24 hens! Any how, last week, he spurred me. I have no idea what set him off, unless it was my bright orange jammie shorts. No matter what the reason behind this behavior, it is totally unacceptable. I've put him on the @Beekissed "Rooster Speak" behavior rehab program. He's had his one chance (and blown it!). Any other misbehavior will result in him being invited to dinner.

B/C of this recent development, I will be looking for a replacement cockerel among his 2 broods of sons.

I don't have any my phone right now but will try to get some tonight if I can get my other human kids to cooperate. lol I have 4 black copper marans, 3 rhode island reds, and 2 easter eggers.

I've never heard of hen saddles. I may have to look into that but would hate to put anything on them that would make them even more uncomfortable. lol Just hate the idea of separating them because they're such a good flock & he keeps them all protected when they're out and about together. I may just have to separate them during the day?
I purchased a hen saddle (like a little apron that she wears) and it helps a LOT!! My chickens were born April 2017 and the rooster(s) still tear my girls up. They have not had feathers on their backs since LAST YEAR!! I have a Brahma rooster and a little Bantam that rules the roost! I have 3 adult hens and then 8 pullets from this spring. The boys have not started bothering my little girls yet, but they do a number on my 3 adult hens!!
And my girls pay absolutely no attention to the saddle. It's just made of cloth. Just keeps their backs covered. An elastic band wraps around the top of their wings. Like the wings fit on a child at Halloween. And really, they don't mind it at all.

Back
Top Bottom